1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving a school after 1 year

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bizzleskills, Feb 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bizzleskills

bizzleskills New commenter

I am dreading going back to school after half term and the truth is I really am not enjoying teaching there. It’s not the right school for me at all and I would really like to leave. I only started in September and don’t want it to affect my future by looking bad on my C.V. Has anyone else experienced this and can help/give me advice? I would leave at the end of summer term so I have completed a year there. When would be the right time to discuss this with the headteacher and let them know my thoughts?

2. PE_Factory

PE_Factory New commenter

I started a new school in September and left at Christmas... stared a new school in January and am so much happier! You don't live to work, you work to live...and as soon as work starts to take over your life because you're unhappy then you need to make a change. Life really is too short to be unhappy in your job/workplace

3. altally

altally New commenter

Discuss as soon as possible. People move on all the time, and you’ll need to ask them for a reference anyway.

4. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

I don’t see why this would be a problem as long as you stay until the end of the summer term. I’ve done this before and it didn’t affect my chances of getting other jobs. Raise it soon (preferably before late April/May when the resignation deadline is) so that they can advertise for a replacement.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

A year is plenty long enough...won't look bad at all.
    I would start to look around for alternatives and, when you find a nice one, go and see you head and discuss it with them. Then get applying and get yourself something better for September.

BerkshireSTA and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Don’t say anything until you see a job you want to apply for then tell the head that you are applying and wish to put them as a referee. Then it’s just best to be vague and cite different opportunities or personal reasons if you feel you need to say why.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's not just a question of when to leave, it's also a question of what to learn. Try and think about the concrete things you don't want to have in your next school, the top three things which really got to you, because ideally you'd look for something you can happily get your teeth into maybe for longer next time round. At the moment it's fine, but you don't really want to end up with a string of one year experiences, because in accumulation they would look less good.

Do I read your post correctly, that this is your first teaching job? Double checking, it's only implied, not stated. If its' true, what you have in your favour which many of us here might no longer have (truism, sadly) is the marketability of somebody new to the profession. In that position you can really afford to be relatively picky about where you work, so try to settle for somewhere which does not show the features which are making you miserable now. Be discerning at interviews, which are as much a chance for you to pick a school as they are for them to pick you.

Good luck-O, and please do put me right if I'm wrong about your newbiness...I just wasn't sure even from reading twice.

8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

People shouldn't assume that you walk straight into their perfect school, or that the school will remain perfect forever. Nothing wrong with trying a few places out to find the right one.

9. bizzleskills

Thankyou all! This is my second school, I was in my previous school for 5 years and I completed my training year and NQT year there. I left as I wanted to move from SEN to Mainstream but this school is an independent school and against all advise from my teacher friends I went ahead and took the job. I am basically really unhappy as I am treated like a glorified TA, I get overshadowed by my partner teacher and it’s making my feel incapable and low!
    I’m visiting a prospective school tomorrow and interview dates for this school are week commencing 5th March. If I like this school I’ll have to speak to the headteacher this week, it seems really early for a summer term finish but fingers crossed he understands!

10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I left a school after just three months once - It just wasn't for me.

Hasn't done my career any harm at all. Don't worry :)

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Well I don't know about that...Aren't you the most S of SLT now? Some would say that was a disaster! :p

sabrinakat, Piranha and Pomza like this.
  12. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I only stayed a year in my first job; no one had ever questioned it. I think if you move every year (which you haven’t) people would ask questions. Every job is a learning experience and a matching game. If you don’t match, move on.

13. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

I did just a year in my first job. The HT there was a loon and had an unfortunately nickname in the local area to match her behaviour. She was well known in other schools, in even infamous in an adjoining LEA area!

I've left another school after just over a year...not even at the 'correct' time to do so...still managed to get other work.

I've found supply was a great route back into teaching on terms I could control. It has been a stepping stone back into FT.

BerkshireSTA likes this.
  14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

The best kind.

15. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

She really wasn't...two years after I left the WHOLE staff walked out in protest. It made the local papers. She got the boot.

One of the worst things she did was advertise the Second in Science job...while he was still working there...just because she didn't like him. He was an excellent teacher / bloke and no-one else had an issue with him.

Poor chap was driven to a breakdown. but it was the beginning of the end for her too.

16. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I have done this once in many years of long commitment to posts. The hardest part is thinking how to explain it in interviews etc...Actually, it was just that I had a terrible time. No capability concerns or anything.

How to say that,without appearing like a person who lacks resilience, is fairly tricky.

BerkshireSTA likes this.
  17. ilovesummertime

ilovesummertime New commenter

I’ve worked in loads of schools for only a year due to relocating and moving from mainstream to SEN and back again!

I’ve actually found working in a wide range of schools really beneficial to my career progression as I have learnt so much. After 7 years of moving around, I’ve now started a new position which I absolutely love and hope I can stay in for a very long time!

In my opinion if you’re not happy, there’s no reason to stay. You spend so much time at work, ideally you need to enjoy it! In my experience it doesn’t negatively impact on your CV so don’t worry. Good luck, I hope you find a school that’s right for you.

18. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Just caused me to reflect on my teaching career (if that is what it was):

4 terms, 2 year overseas contract, 2 terms supply, 2 year overseas contract, 2 terms supply, 16 years, left profession.

The headmaster who appointed me to the last post did ask if I was likely to settle, but gave me the job.

19. bizzleskills

Luckily (I guess) I am in the process of moving house and this will make my commute a bit longer (I already drive 2+ hours a day there and back) so I can give the excuse that I want to work closer to home (which I will be) so hopefully that works in my favour.
    Another thing I’m worried about is that my probation period is up at the end of this half term and if I attend interviews this month I’ll have to come clean and tell all to my headteacher before I’ve completed my probation. Will this have any affect at all? I’m planninb to stay there until end of summer term, could he then ask me to leave before with no pay? Thankyou!!

20. cowelly

cowelly New commenter

This is an old thread that I am very grateful to stumble. I'm unhappy in my new school and felt trapped until reading this. I'm going to apply for jobs over the next few weeks which will force the conversation with my current school.
    I'm still unsure how to approach the new school. What reasons do you give for wanting to leave so soon after moving.