1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving a permanent post to take up a temporary one -bad move????

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fakesmiles, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Any help / advice much appreciated! I have been at my current workplace for nearly 6 years and have been unhappy there for the vast majority of it! I don't want to go into details here but I am currently signed off with stress and anxiety and am hoping to go back after half term.
    I really don't want to go back there. Having taken this time off, my head is so much clearer that it is not other factors in my life making me feel this miserable all the time, it is that place. I feel sick being there, putting up with a constantly negative atmosphere, nitpicking SMT, unrealisitc expectations on workload....I could go on. When I'm there, I feel this constant sickness and lurching in my stomach that today will be the day they turn on me again. I am not doing the job as well as I could be due to this constant fear and I know I need to get out. I also have to travel for over 3 hours a day to get to work and back and this does not help me with juggling with my home, family and workload. I sit on the bus crying and then have to try to jolly myself up to then pick up my son.
    I have recently seen a job advertised at a school round the corner from me. It is literally 5 mins walk from my front door and working there would improve my work / life balance immeasurably. The problem with this job is that it is initially only for a term, covering an unexpected resignation. It is in a year group I have taught for the majority of my career and I know I can easily fufill the person specification. I went to walk round today, although I know the school fairly well, and briefly spoke to the headteacher. She asked about my present position and I could see she was confused about why I would want to leave my permanent post to take on a temporary position. I dont really know how I can explain this to her without expressing my troubles in my current post.
    I am also concerned about resigning and how this would look to my current school and future career. The interviews for this new post are being held the day after the resignation date, although I am pretty sure my school would let me go. People have a habit of resigning in our school and I feel they'd be happy if I left.
    I am just very confused and down at the moment. I know I need to make my life better but just don't know how! Please help!

2. Any help / advice much appreciated! I have been at my current workplace for nearly 6 years and have been unhappy there for the vast majority of it! I don't want to go into details here but I am currently signed off with stress and anxiety and am hoping to go back after half term.
    I really don't want to go back there. Having taken this time off, my head is so much clearer that it is not other factors in my life making me feel this miserable all the time, it is that place. I feel sick being there, putting up with a constantly negative atmosphere, nitpicking SMT, unrealisitc expectations on workload....I could go on. When I'm there, I feel this constant sickness and lurching in my stomach that today will be the day they turn on me again. I am not doing the job as well as I could be due to this constant fear and I know I need to get out. I also have to travel for over 3 hours a day to get to work and back and this does not help me with juggling with my home, family and workload. I sit on the bus crying and then have to try to jolly myself up to then pick up my son.
    I have recently seen a job advertised at a school round the corner from me. It is literally 5 mins walk from my front door and working there would improve my work / life balance immeasurably. The problem with this job is that it is initially only for a term, covering an unexpected resignation. It is in a year group I have taught for the majority of my career and I know I can easily fufill the person specification. I went to walk round today, although I know the school fairly well, and briefly spoke to the headteacher. She asked about my present position and I could see she was confused about why I would want to leave my permanent post to take on a temporary position. I dont really know how I can explain this to her without expressing my troubles in my current post.
    I am also concerned about resigning and how this would look to my current school and future career. The interviews for this new post are being held the day after the resignation date, although I am pretty sure my school would let me go. People have a habit of resigning in our school and I feel they'd be happy if I left.
    I am just very confused and down at the moment. I know I need to make my life better but just don't know how! Please help!

3. Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. If it is an unexpected resignation, presumably they will still need someone after the term-long contract ends? Personally, I would apply. Tell the new head something very positive such as you are applying because you've always wanted to work there and have been hoping a job would come up. Perhaps explain your willingness to take a temp job on the basis that it will give you an opportunity to get your name known there should a permanent job come up. Good luck.

TEA2111 likes this.
  4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Definitely apply, a good job for a while and the hassle of applying for another good job in Sept is way way better than being stuck in a bad job.

For why you want the job, just talk about travelling distance and wanting a new challenge in a new school. Don't mention your current troubles unless asked directly and even then plan ahead what you will say to avoid going off on a rant.

Best of Luck!

5. I'd agree with the others, but be wary of the 'unexpected resignation'. Is this code for 'walked out'? Good luck anyway. Don't stick with a bad job that robs you of dignity, not to mention the travel time.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I don't think there is anything sinister in an 'unexpected resignation'. People resign out of contract terms all the time for a wide variety of reasons - family issues, relocation of partner, change of career. If you are as unhappy as you have concluded, then I would apply and go for it. Not all schools are the same - and you could find yourself with a much more positive experience in a new setting... that said though if you get to school number 10 and still have the same issues and feelings one does have to consider if one might be the catalyst.

7. Hi fakesmiles,
    I left a permanent post with out a job to go to. I resigned in a rare moment of courage and clarity from a job that made me physically and mentally ill. (It is quite a long and probably rather tedious story) Suffice it to say that I could've been reading my own post when I read yours! I was extremely fortunate to be able to cope financially with support from my very worried family.
    Before the end of the term I saw a temporary post much closer to home and went for a visit. They asked me why I was leaving my current post and I said that I loved my class (true!) but I felt that I had acheived all that was possible for me in that school and was looking for a new challenge (true-ish). I had to be pretty diplomatic but it was clear they had an inkling. The head told me she liked the fact I was a risk-taker. Got the job and been there for a year now as they extended my contract in September.
    I would recommend getting some counselling or some form of treatment if you are really low. I was and I don't think I realised how badly it had affected me until I left.
    What ever you decide to do I wish you lots of luck.
    x

sabrinakat and annarg like this.
  8. Thnak you everyone for your kind responses. You have all been so lovely and said some really helpful things and some phrases that I will steal! I think I wil just put a short covering letter in my application that addresses my reasons for applying in the way that you have described.
    I have talked this application through with my husband and a trusted colleague and have decided that I will apply - I moan so much about travelling, how can I not apply to something that is around the corner!!! This time off has made me realise that I just do not want to work there anymore. I am never going to be the teacher they want me to be - I simply do not have enough hours in my day, nor the drive / fight to keep working in this environment any longer. I do not want to be the person I am when I'm there. I sit on the bus sometimes in the morning willing the bus to crash so I don't have to go in. This is not good for me and my husband was stunned when I told him this. My GP has referred me for counselling and I had a telephone consulation with this lady yesterday. She was nice and I can see it will be helpful.
    I have also decided that regardless of the outcome of this application, I am going to resign when I get back for the end of the academic year. Like Mrs Pink Shoes, I had a rare moment of clarity last night and know that this is the right thing to do. I will find something for September. My son starts school in September and I want to take him to school /pick him up occassionally. So much of his life already has been overshadowed by my job and I don't want to miss this part of his life. I talk to parents so much about being involved in their child's education and I don't want to be that parent who is never at the school gates. I don't know what will happen financially or if I will find another job (I'll go work in Tesco if I have to) but I now know this is the right thing to do.
    Thank you all so much.

annarg likes this.
  9. You should take the temp job. Your child and your life with your family should be your priority. Work is just work and never as important.Good luck. I speak from experience when I say that you are doing the right thing.

10. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I'm glad you decided to resign. I struggled through a difficult time which was also affecting my health in all kinds of ways. I didn't resign because I worked with great colleagues but I did have to drop a lot of responsibility to keep my sanity. Had I not been able to do thiss then I would have definately left and found anything else going. (Including Tesco's!) There will be another job for you but in the meantime, enjoy spending time with your son, get to know his school REALLY well and volunteer to help with readers.
    This is how I got into my first job and it didn't take long.
    If you need any help with your resignation letter, let me know.
    Best of luck

11. After all your kind responses and help, I just wanted to update you on my situation. I did apply for the temporary job. On the day of shortlisting, the headteacher emailed me to say that she thought my application was lovely but I wasn't right for this position and class. She has told me that she will keep my application 'close to hand' should anything permanent come up and that she'd like me to keep in touch with the school and she'd be more than happy for me to apply at their school again. So, not the result I wanted but I think there were lots of positive things in her email.
    Returning to work was horrid. The situation / atmosphere hasn't changed at all. I have resigned for the end of the academic year. I don't think my head really gets why and isn't being any nicer but I'm now just counting down the weeks till the end of the year! I feel free and excited about the possibilities ahead. I know it's crazy to resign in the middle of a recession but I have to have faith that there is something more out there for me. Thank you all for your help. xx

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  12. There usually is!
    (Just spent an awful time on JSA, wondering how to make ends meet, etc. and something has turned up!) Life is too short to put up with crappy working conditions. Best wishes!

13. I just wanted to know if it was all worth it... im in the same boat as u were bCk in 2011 and struggling to make the decision to leave a perm job for a temp 1. I have been offered the temp job and handed in my notice but now having feelings of doubt, since being told the chances of it turning perm are very slim. I have made some major life changing decisions already 4 this new temp job!!? Do i just take the risk.. whats the wprse that can happen... i end up job less n home less living on the st with a 4yr old... argh help

14. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

Do it ! Life is too short to be in such a negative and toxic working environment . Even if it is temporary , if more positive it will
    boost your confidence and well
    being , and may become permanent . Good luck

thekillers likes this.
  15. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter