1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving a Maths Leader post after a year.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by superewok, Mar 15, 2012.

1. superewok

superewok New commenter

Apologies for the length of this post in advance and the lack of formatting... I have been teaching for four years - two in Year 5 and two in Year 6 (I am in my fourth year). I spent my first three years teaching in a tough inner city London school and loved it. I obviously started as an NQT and then in my third year (and first in Year 6) I became ICT Co-Ordinator. I began thinking of TLRs and to cut a long story short, I got a job at a school in Essex as a Maths Leader with TLR 2. I don't regret this as such, but I feel like I cannot spend another year in this school for a number of reasons. First of all the management is very poor and the communication is non-existent. The leadership set up is very unconventional and is ineffective. Teaching is being observed two or three times a week which is damaging staff morale but the headteacher feels this is important as Ofsted is imminent and we are satisfactory (the head has cried about feeling betrayed in staff meetings when staff are talking about their disgruntlement with SMT, which made people feel uncomfortable and awkward.) Also, I miss London so much, in a way I never thought I would. I felt at the forefront of education, with incredible ICT ideas, thoughtful and meaningful INSET and effective CPD. At this school, there is none of this and it is simply plodding along. I feel redundant in a two hour INSET on 'What is success criteria?' I am a good - outstanding teacher and feel a little lost within this school. Don't get me wrong, I have learned a lot this year. As the school is small I have been acting head on a number of occasions, I am part of the SMT (yet feel like I am not listened to or dismissed very quickly), I have set up policies that are now used county wide and I have extended my leadership skills no end. But I want to move back to London (my husband and I have split up) and I am keen to move on (not necessarily a promotion as I am keen to hone my skills in middle management) although I am ambitious. The school has had issues with staff retention and they don't have any inkling that I am looking to be somewhere new in September. I have two questions really.... how do I tell my headteacher I wish to look for a new job elsewhere and will this look bad (leaving a position after twelve months?) Thank you in advance to all who can offer any advice.

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

It doesn't look good, but as you are wanting to move back to a completely different area and have split up from your OH, you could cite personal reasons. I can understand your wish to move on as it can be very demoralising working in a struggling school. Our school is supporting one in our cluster and there is an air of depression about the whole place that just pulls you down.
    You say you felt redundant in the staff meeting on success criteria. As a middle manager I would expect you to be secure in this knowledge, surely your role was to help support other staff in their training on this.
    London doesnt have a monopoly on cutting edge schools, I think you have just been unlucky at this school and possibly lucky in your first school.
    When you say you have been a year at this school, do you really mean 2 terms, as this is not enough to have any impact. Also be very careful that the issues with your marriage are not clouding your judgement. Dont make any rash decisions, it would be natural to want to return to the familiar at this time.

3. superewok

superewok New commenter

Thanks for your advice marymoocow. I take all of your points on board.

I offered to lead the training for the staff meeting but my head wanted me to take part in the training which ended up being led by a freelance consultant who cost an awful lot of money (and our school has none.)

And yes, I do mean two terms so I know not a lot of time to make an impact but I do feel like I'm being thwarted also. My ideas are shot down very quickly (I realise that they are ambitious) but I believe we need to be. Instead of seeing one or two clear ideas through, the management seem to initiate twenty ideas all at the same time and they linger around a bit, no one is on board with them as the communication is poor and no one really knows the purpose of them. Then, finally, nothing comes of them and we are stagnating. It is a sad situation and one I would like to turn around, but I feel this may be impossible with the leadership the way that it is.

Lots to think about I guess...!?! Thanks again for your advice! It is much appreciated!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Start looking around for similar posts in the area you want to live and apply when you see one you like. You appear to have done far more in the two terms than a great many maths co-ords in primary do in a 10 years. Any school would snap you up with the experience you have had this year.

As for telling your HT, only tell her when you actually apply for a post. She'll get over it. Just say you want to move back to London and leave the rest out.

5. superewok

superewok New commenter

Thanks minnieminx. I guess the tricky thing is telling my HT really. They have no idea whatsoever that I'm keen to move -it will come as a shock. Plus no one at work knows about my husband and I splitting up. But you are totally right, I think my mind is made up. It's just finding the right job now!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well don't tell them about you and hubby splitting it is none of their business. And your HT doesn't need to know a thing until you actually send off an application.

Just get on and do it, HTs aren't stupid, well most of them aren't, they know staff move for all kinds of reasons.

7. superewok

superewok New commenter

Well I did it! I now have a new job starting in September as a Maths Leader in an amazing school. I cannot wait to start. I'm relieved, happy, excited! Definitely feels like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I can really look forward to the summer! Thanks again for all the advice. Much appreciated!