1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving a long term supply role early

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by a1976, Oct 7, 2018.

1. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Hi everyone.

Thank you so much for all of the support. Now, I have one final question.

To cut a long story short, I've had something happen that has caused me to feel extremely anxious, nervous, and irritable. I'm not able to cope being around students or people for the time being. I'm also starting to feel like I did right before leaving full time teaching back in 2013 (we won't go there).

How likely is my agency to drop me or not use me if I leave my role early?

agathamorse likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It sounds like you need to get out of teaching completely - or at least have a break

agathamorse, pepper5 and a1976 like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Depends solely on how desperate they are and you can get a reasonable gauge of that from your pay rate and the happiness of your current school. If the agency get a phone call asking for your skill set then they won't have a vast list they can call on just to spite you. They'll still over-sell you to the next school to get their commission.

Do you have just the one agency? The others will all be happy to step in and over-sell you to their schools.

But all this is in the future.
    It sounds like you need to get out NOW. So do so. All other decisions can wait until you're fit enough to make them.

You've got to know when to walk away
    Know when to run.
    Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

4. a1976

I think a nice long break would be good. But don't know what to do about income. Basically, I have to force myself to leave the house in the mornings. This weekend, I did nothing but rested on the sofa.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Can you afford a few weeks off?
    If so, then write off October as an earning opportunity and only remove yourself from the sofa for the first week after half-term, when supply work picks up anyway.

Or if daytime TV is also unbearable then look for ANY work that might provide the escape from teaching.

Fair point but hanging on for the money is an easy route to madness in teaching. You sound like you already recognise this from 2013 (I don't want to go there either, sorry) but only you can judge the balance of money against sanity.

6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Only you can decide.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

So long as you give them a few days' notice and say that something has happened in your personal life, it will be fine. Lie if you need to - say that somebody in your family is seriously ill.

Trust me, they can also drop you as fast as they want to.

It happens all the time - what they don't like is when you give no notice at all or walk out on the same day.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  8. pwtin

pwtin Star commenter

If it affecting you so badly tell them today you will not be available after the end of the day. Schools never show us any loyalty, do what is right for you. How old are you? Just wondering as I know from personal experience that in your 50's it is really difficult to get any kind of job. I am applying for anything and everything but having no luck, possibly it is just me.

9. a1976

Trust me, they can also drop you as fast as they want to.

It happens all the time -

I think they have already because my agent who used to be very good will now not return my calls. I'm applying to other supply agencies though.

By the way, how do you go about approaching schools directly? There are several small village schools where I live that I have never worked in.

pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Why do I think this stream of blindingly obvious questions is clickbait?

pepper5 likes this.