1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving a job mid year guilt

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by hlt12395, Nov 25, 2018.

1. hlt12395

hlt12395 New commenter

Hi everyone,

My partner has been offered a job overseas and I definitely don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to go with him! I would be leaving at Easter but I’m half thinking I might just go in July and meet my partner there to avoid the awkward conversation.

I know it’s frowned upon to leave a teaching job mid year and I’m a bit worried to tell my head that I want to leave. I’m worried that after giving my notice in, things will be difficult at school as it can be a fairly difficult environment.

Any advice or experiences leaving mid year and how to tell people would be greatly appreciated!

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

As soon as your partner has the job definitely fixed up, go and speak with the HT, explain the situation, say you'll hand in a formal letter in the next day or so, thank them for the opportunity (or whatever), ask them nicely if they'll act as a referee for you in future. Promise that you'll do your best to make the handover to your successor easy. Write a simple letter, giving the correct dates (plenty of advice on here for that, but do be careful), don't include anything else beyond a simple thank-you in the letter. The sooner you do this, the easier it will be for the school to replace you.
    After this pressures on you will reduce rather than increase.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Easter isn't mid year, it's nearly there, If you're in secondary it's right before study leave.

Give plenty of notice and go. Kids move on quicker than you think.

If you let them know immediately, they might even have chance to get someone in time for that someone to resign at the end of December and make the Easter leaving date. Do it.

phlogiston likes this.
  4. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

There is the connundrum! Staff are loyal to their schools but I don't see this reciprocated. Resign at Easter and enjoy your new life.

phlogiston and Dyathinkhesaurus like this.
  5. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

⬆️^This^.
    Your life is your own and you're entitled to live it. Give your notice, the more the better, and leave without regrets at Easter.
    And enjoy being the envy of the staff room!

Summerhols6 likes this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If you hang on to July while your partner goes abroad at Easter, what message are you giving him/her - that your job in a difficult school is more important that your relationship. Because you want to avoid a 'difficult' situation at school you are willing to sacrifice three months or more of togetherness. If I were your partner, and I'm not being nasty here, just telling it as I see it, I'd be pretty put out.

Heads are used to having staff move on all the time so your leaving after giving your notice in the correct manner should be no skin off their nose. Take a deep breath, hand in your notice to leave at Easter in good time to allow the school time to find a replacement and then see your time out to the best of your ability. To do otherwise would be letting your partner down badly.

phlogiston and Sinnamon like this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why would you feel guilty about giving the correct amount of notice?

Sinnamon and MrLW1 like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Since when?
    It isn't at all.
    There are three normal points to leave and all are equally acceptable.

Resign and go.

Shedman likes this.