1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving a home behind

Discussion in 'Personal' started by katherinelily, Sep 5, 2011.

1. I hope someone can shed some light on my feelings.
    We moved into our first home six and a half years ago (I was 24 at the time.) It is a nice house but had many disadvantages to it that we didn't fully account for at the time so, when I obtained a promotion we decided to let the house out and buy a lovely cottage. Since we had interested tenants and the job isn't really commutable (over an hour each way) we are in temporary accommodation and consequently, I feel very sad and homesick for not only a tiny cramped house I didn't really like with noisy neighbours to boot but a school where I was bullied out of a job!
    I suspect I may have gone mad.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

I don't understand.
    Did you just let out your lovely cottage?
    You can feel homesick for a school that treated you badly because you will have had lots of lots of meaningful and ewarding interactions and relationships in that place in addition to the rubbish that came your way. So yes, you will miss lots of people and find it hard to re establish but you will and you must.
    Life is short and there are better places to be.

3. Some bricks surrounding a space.

4. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I'm confused too. What happened to the cottage?

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

I think that when we are in a position of uncertainty , or when things aren't going quite to plan, we look at the past as a better time/place. The grass is greener in reverse?
    I am sure when things pan out you will feel better.
    Look forward, not back and good luck.

6. Thank you.

Sorry I was misleading. We are in the process of buying the cottage but the sale has not gone through yet and therefore we are in temporary accommodation and letting out our old house.

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Moving homes and changing jobs are two hugely stressful events.
    That is why you feel upset then.