1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving a Governor's Meeting

Discussion in 'Governors' started by adelemarie123, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am a new Staff Governor at a Secondary School, and during my first meeting one of the items on the agenda was staff redundancies. One of the other governors thought it appropriate to ask the staff who worked at the school to leave whilst these were being discussed. Is this acceptable and can I refuse to leave if I think I ought to be there.

2. Hi
    I am a new Staff Governor at a Secondary School, and during my first meeting one of the items on the agenda was staff redundancies. One of the other governors thought it appropriate to ask the staff who worked at the school to leave whilst these were being discussed. Is this acceptable and can I refuse to leave if I think I ought to be there.

3. There has been another thread on this subject recently. I think the upshot was that staff governors should remain whilst these issues are being discussed.
    However, your clerk should be sufficiently au fait with the rules to have been able to give clear guidance. That is one of th ethings they are paid for.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

It was this thread: https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/462759.aspx It didn't conclude that staff should remain! Tht was Blackdog's view, I disagreed and have quoted the relevant regulations in my response. There may well have been reasons to ask staff to leave if it was reasonable to assume that they might have had a direct or indirect pecuniary interest in the outcome of the discussion. The decison about whether you should leave is one for the governors present at the meeting (by majority vote if necessary). You cannot then refue to leave.

5. When I started to be a governor, circa 25 years ago, The City supplied Clerks and usually a LEA Admin person to the meetings, but nowadays the role of clerk seems to be interpreted as just a "minute taker"

6. I suspect that there is a double standard with this question of governors to be requested to leave meetings for example when a matter involving their child is discussed. Frequently
    the head teacher is involved in an issue of dispute or complaint, but it would be very rare for the HT to leave the meeting, and yet the HT has the power to put a certain "spin" on a story.

7. Our LA provide trained clerks, for a price, the one we have is superb.
    I know other LAs in my part of the country do the same. But no GB is under any obligation to use them.