1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving a FT permanent job for a FT temporary one??

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MissCranie, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi all, I find myself in a difficult position. I am a French teacher who has been employed in the same position since starting teaching 4.5 years ago. Since starting teaching I have been responsible for running my department as the sole languages teacher in a small school of around 400. In April last year I relocated back to Glasgow, where I am originally from, and now have a daily return commute of 150 miles plus. I know this sounds excessive but I decided to work to live and not live to work. My head teacher is aware that I have been searching for alternative jobs for over a year and keep facing the same dilemma, as I effectively run a department it is seen as a step down for me to want to become part of a department elsewhere rather than run one. I have applied for a departmental head job and got to the final 3, but my lack of management skills and departmental collaboration held me back there. So it seems like a no-win situation. I've recently been offered an initial 6 month full time position within a successful department in a school in Glasgow, this position has the potential to last for a maximum of 23 months. It will allow me to work with language teaching colleagues (which I have never had the opportunity to do before,) work under an inspiring mentor, get my foot in the door of Glasgow City Council and cut my commute by 2h daily. However, the post needs to be filled ASAP and they want me to start on the 20th February which would mean leaving my certificated classes at a difficult time, before prelims. Not to mention leaving a permanent job for a temporary one. I am so confused, do you have any advice? Mairead

2. Hi all, I find myself in a difficult position. I am a French teacher who has been employed in the same position since starting teaching 4.5 years ago. Since starting teaching I have been responsible for running my department as the sole languages teacher in a small school of around 400. In April last year I relocated back to Glasgow, where I am originally from, and now have a daily return commute of 150 miles plus. I know this sounds excessive but I decided to work to live and not live to work. My head teacher is aware that I have been searching for alternative jobs for over a year and keep facing the same dilemma, as I effectively run a department it is seen as a step down for me to want to become part of a department elsewhere rather than run one. I have applied for a departmental head job and got to the final 3, but my lack of management skills and departmental collaboration held me back there. So it seems like a no-win situation. I've recently been offered an initial 6 month full time position within a successful department in a school in Glasgow, this position has the potential to last for a maximum of 23 months. It will allow me to work with language teaching colleagues (which I have never had the opportunity to do before,) work under an inspiring mentor, get my foot in the door of Glasgow City Council and cut my commute by 2h daily. However, the post needs to be filled ASAP and they want me to start on the 20th February which would mean leaving my certificated classes at a difficult time, before prelims. Not to mention leaving a permanent job for a temporary one. I am so confused, do you have any advice? Mairead

3. I'd go for it. A good teacher will always get a job. I've just left a permanent position for a maternity cover of 6 months but I am confident that the extra experience I shall gain during the contract will enable me to get a permanent job in the area I love.