1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving 12 weeks after returning to work

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by charlene09, Jan 24, 2020.

1. charlene09

charlene09 New commenter

I have to return to work for 12 weeks or pay my mat pay back.
    I'm going back to work the week before the summer holidays. I really can't afford to to back any earlier because I would have to pay for 2 children in childcare. Daughter is 3 during summer hols so free from sept.

We have put our house for sale and will be relocating.
    Am i able to just do the 12 weeks and then leave? The 12 weeks will be up just before October half term. Would I be allowed to leave then or will I have to stay until Christmas?
    I'm not interested in being a teacher after we relocate if that makes any difference.

I understand I probably shouldn't have ticked the box claiming the maternity pay but I fully intended to return. Lots of studd has happened and I need to move back closer to my family

2. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

In my school the usual resignation dates applied, so I wasn’t able to leave at a half term only at summer or Christmas. Paying back maternity wasn’t an option so I had to go back after May half term and finished on 31st August.

However, I think you need to discuss this with your school individual head teachers may be willing to negotiate leaving early based on specific circumstances and the schools needs. You are probably best talking to them ASAP so they can put plans in place. For example, they might find it easier to recruit now as more teacher look to start work in September than any other time of year.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can't just leave at October half-term - you're bound by the usual teacher resignation dates, so you either leave at the end of August or the end of December. The head might agree to something different, but it's unlikely, particularly at that time of year, as it's obviously best to have the changeover to a new teacher in September, and they'll get a bigger field for a September start. It's possibly worth a try though - you never know - they might have someone returning from maternity in October who you could cover for that half-term.

Your best bet is to return at the start of the summer half-term holiday, which should be enough to get in your 12 weeks before the end of August. You'd only actually be teaching for six/seven weeks. For childcare, might your partner be able to take shared parental leave? That might work out better than childcare, and give them a chance to spend some quality time with the children. Alternatively, some people manage to cover that length of time with grandparents coming to stay.