1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leavers' hoodies - rant!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My son's school are doing the usual leavers' hoodies scam. Twenty-six pounds! But, if you went to the sixth form open evening, you get a tenner off the price. My son didn't go because the useless school has sacked the drama teacher and don't offer Drama A level. My son is a classical musician and there is zero music at the school, so even without the lack of Drama A level, which he wants to do, staying at the school was never going to be an option. It would have been pointless him going to the open evening but, because he didn't clutter the place up for no good reason, we have to pay extra for the hoodie. The school has a strict no hoodies at school policy...

Do schools go on courses to learn how to look stupid?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Many schools don't require course to fulfill these requirements.

3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

You don't have to buy the hoodie.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

It would have been worth £10 to go.

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I bet most of those hoodies end up on the floordrobe after a week never to be worn again anyway.
    Eschew such nonsense!

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's a scammy school which gets its students to pay for the privilege of marketing it.

7. Doitforfree

No, I don't have to buy one. But my son wants one, as they all tend to get them. And believe me it would not have been worth a tenner to go, though I suppose we could have signed in and left. But I couldn't bear to se the lies they were telling about what they offer. The sixth form is crummy. It does okay in some subjects but the set up is dire, the university application support is very weak and there's nothing going on apart from lessons. It's a tiny sixth form so classes have all abilities (and they'll accept practically anyone onto any course as long as they are basically breathing, which I'm not toally against but means there are some very low ability students in with the rest) with the result that lessons don't stray far from the syllabus.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

My school used to organise them, encourage kids to buy them to bring the price down for greater numbers, make the effort to get them delivered before the kids left and then not allow them to wear the things in school.

It's part of the default position for Academies in particular to be stupid, they then have to struggle to escape the category despite management wriggling like mad to stay there.

I can feel a consultancy coming on, pay me a one-off £1000 fee for a stupidity audit (for the full 3 hour deluxe version), if you pass you can put "Mr. Mangleworzle says we're not stupid!" on the stationary and school sign, any school that fails can have another audit after a 3 month period for a knock-down price of £990.

9. Doitforfree

I can't wait for him to leave. Though their twitter feed, which they publish on the front page of the school wenbsite, is quite a good laugh. They must have a member of staff who does nothing but trawl the internet all day for meaningless platitudes. It makes me wonder about the sanity of some of the staff. I feel really sorry for the ones who are actually good, andt there are some. Are they embarrassed at being associated with the mindless drivel and idiotic schemes eschewing from the school, I wonder?

10. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

My child's school just let the kids organize it (hoodies),. Same with leavers' events; no school involvement. Seems the best way,

kent1 likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Buy your son something nice that doesn't make him look like a schooly and which will make him the envy of all his friends.

12. Mangleworzle

You reckon?

I've been involved in "helping kids" organize things, there's always a load of school involvement.

13. Mangleworzle

Sounds not dissimilar to the school I left last year. Lots of schools that aren't really big enough have started their own 6th forms in the last 10-15 years or so. I'm pretty sure one of the main drivers has been increased salaries for SMT. When ours started we had a couple of years or so where results weren't counted (not sure if this would still be the case) to allow the school to take anyone with a pulse and who promised to try harder as they were now much more grown up so it looked like it was successful.

The school in the next town was where most of the kids used to go to 6th form, both schools having one just weakened both positions. I'm surprised they are still allowed to continue with them to be honest, maybe they are both playing a game of who backs down first.

14. Doitforfree

When we visited the sixth form college in the next town my son was blown away by the facilities and the attitude of the staff and everything really. There is so much going on there. It's really vibrant and gets excellent results, yet doesn't demand stupidly high GCSE grades. I was really impressed. It helped that almost every teacher we spoke to happened to play the same instrument as my son, even the Maths teacher!
    I think small school sixth forms are really a bad thing. The school itself is pretty small, and the sixth form is tiny. They share some courses with the next nearest school, which is seven miles away, meaning that students can spend half their day travelling between locations. It seems a bit bonkers.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We left the 6th form for organise their own leavers do for the last three years.

And every year, for the last three years, it's been cancelled because they couldn't organise bupkis.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hoodies for leavers. That's now officially a 'thing'? Good God in Heaven.

He wants one? I think he can probably cope with the disappointment. Isn't 'resilience' the fourth R these days? Think of it as character-building. He'll thank you one day. That you had the resolve, the determination, the sheer effrontery not to yield to his entirely understandable demand to have you purchase a (probably) unethically manufactured piece of TAT. You'll be doing him a favour. Triumphing over adversity and all that.

Also - pocket money? Why is he not buying it himself? Saturday job? Or do those not exist in this brave new world of hoodies for leavers?

midnight_angel likes this.
  17. Doitforfree

Goodness, I never really thought of refusing to buy one as a statement. Probably should have though. It does get pretty tiresome, the things that are foisted on our children that cost us. Parents are never asked if it's okay before the children are told they're getting something, so the children are already looking forward to what ever it is before parents even get informed. In fatc, there's been an increasing amount of that sort of thing over the years, from changes to exam arrangements to selling us stuff we might not want or be able to afford.

Our son only gets a bit of pocket money, partly because his musical activities cost so much and partly because he just fritters away what he does have, so we have an unwritten rule that we'll pay for reasonable things like the hoodies, in lieu of more pocket money. I'm waiting for him to become more responsible with the money he has, so he can take charge of his own life, but he shows no sign of it yet!

I found there are whole companies now dedicated to selling leavers hoodies and the like. And they charge a lot less than the school are asking for them!

18. Mangleworzle

It's big business. The school almost certainly won't be subsidizing the £16 ones by £10.

midnight_angel likes this.
  19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's a fundraising thing for the school. You can get them for trip and clubs too. I'm afraid I'm struggling to see the problem. If you think it is too expensive don't buy it.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's not a statement. Well, hardly a big statement.

"You want one? Save up for it or do without."

Sorry. I thought that's what most parents would tell their almost-adult offspring unless it's a new instrument or something verging on essential. In my view a hoodie doesn't tick that box.

#harshMOTHER

ScotSEN likes this.