1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leave Maternity cover for permanent role

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nutrition02, May 23, 2019.

1. nutrition02

nutrition02 New commenter

Hi all
    Need advice, I’m covering maternity, started in January until December,I have completed third term of nqt here, they have been extremely supportive,. Before this a had terrible nqt post where I left before getting it. Should I look for permanent position for September or stay till December, and risk doing supply from January?
    Do permanent jobs appear for January? Tia x

2. abuzayd1987

abuzayd1987 New commenter

If they have been “extremely supportive” then I would advise repaying that by seeing out your maternity cover. As for your question, yes I’m my experience permanent jobs do appear for January and would be advertised around the end of the first term so around Christmas time I think. I generally believe in doing right by those who do right by you.

nutrition02 likes this.
  3. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Permanent jobs do come up in January, yes. If you are happy where you are then why not stay until December? It could be the person coming back from maternity only wants to come back part time and you could still have a couple of days there and top up with supply. Or another opportunity may come up at the same school.

Supply would agive you a chance to scope out other local schools before applying to them for permanent positions.

There’s lots of options, although I know the uncertainty of a position coming to an end with nothing to go to can be a bit of a worry. Sometimes it’s worth waiting and seeing.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #2.

5. nutrition02

nutrition02 New commenter

Thank you for your reply, yes I think you’re right, I am happy here, I wasn’t sure about permanent jobs in January.