1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leasing or buying equipment

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by cupcake76, Nov 5, 2019.

1. cupcake76

cupcake76 New commenter

I am the new computing lead in primary and following an audit of equipment, we need to update our desktops, laptops and I pads. As a result I was looking what would be our best option, in regards to renewing equipment. I am interested to find out more about leasing and any recommendations of companies to use. Thanks in advance.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Where are you?

Might be worth having a review of the whole sheebang. Do you really need Ipads?

What kind of update? Are you talking about simply replacing everything or updating the OS?

3. cupcake76

cupcake76 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. Currently have I pad 2 and won’t support latest version of ios or app updates. We need to update the equipment as it won’t support current software updates.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I would use the opportunity to evaluate the need for Ipads. Personally, I have never found them useful unless there is a specific app which you need which only works on Ipads. Even then I would question the cost/benefit of buying Ipads for a single app.

Look at Chrome books if your need is mostly to access web-based applications. Look at replacing everything with a bank of rechargeable windows laptops which will be cheaper than the Ipads and can be portable.

You might also want to look at your network. It might need upgrading to support increased network traffic. If your Ipads are way out-of-date then your network probably is out-of-date too.

All comes down to cash. Dell offer some great deals on hardware and maintenance contracts to schools in most countries. Apple, in my experience, are just box shifters and offer little or no support.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Suggest you join Edugeek. Loads of knowledgeable folk on there, focused more on the tech than the pedagogical side.

6. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Firstly I'd move to web based versions/replacements for all of your current software
    Rob's excellent contributions to this thread should provide examples of (mostly free) web based apps which are at least as good and in many cases much better than all of the software you are currently using.

Then consider replacing your hardware.
    While Ipads do have some appeal, they are every expensive and as you have found out date very rapidly
    Chromebooks are cheap and pretty robust

7. harpplayer

harpplayer Occasional commenter

Chromebooks and the cloud all the way. Buy one to play with. Visit a couple of schools who use them and discuss things like the google class managment software, training needed for staff, transition, costs, support, potential problems etc, do an evaluation on which Chromebook to buy and costs, get the wifi properly investigated and upgraded, potential resale value of ipads etc

Then go for it.

8. robwilktes

robwilktes New commenter

I would also recommend getting Chromebooks and Google Apps.
    Google Classroom is excellent for setting and organising pupil's digital work.
    Definitely visit a school that has them set up and get their feedback.
    There are so many apps now that run in the browser and they continue to grow.
    Here's a link to some. Each one is a bookmark. It will also work on your phone if you add the link.
    https://www.symbaloo.com/shared/AAAAB_YodKoAA42ARqZi6Q==