1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Walks

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by QueenieBianca, Oct 3, 2019.

1. QueenieBianca

QueenieBianca New commenter

Do I have to do learning walks during PPA time?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You cannot be directed to do so.

3. install

install Star commenter

Get Learning Walks on your timetable if the school expects regular ones. Don't let it clash with your ppa.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No, you do not HAVE to do learning walks during your PPA time.

However, it may just be that one of your colleagues is teaching more effectively than you are and had some qualities you can emulate in your own teaching.

Furthermore, since you are a HoD, (according to your other posts), a learning walk will help you to see how effectively your own department is functioning.

Or you could just dig your heels in! :rolleyes:

JohnJCazorla, strawbs and Piranha like this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you have management time (or any other free time during lessons) in addition to your 10% PPA allowance then you can be told to do learning walks in that. As long as you get the minimum PPA time, you can be directed during other periods when you are free. This assumes that you are under STPCD; if you are not, then PPA time may not be protected at all.

JohnJCazorla, strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  6. QueenieBianca

QueenieBianca New commenter

It’s not a case of digging my heels in, I just asked that’s all, I’m working between 80-100 per week for the past 6 months due to workload!

7. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Do i have to learning walks during my PPA? Because it's such a pain in the **** ticking all these boxes about who to dob in!

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I hate that phrase "learning walks" really gets up my nose.

FormosaRed, ATfan, mm71 and 8 others like this.
  9. lovejoy_antiques

It grinds my gears too!

10. lovejoy_antiques

It also boils my p*ss and Rogers my rabbit.

11. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

stop doing that.

That will kill you.

you will have a heart attack or a stroke

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  12. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

As a HOD I was required to do learning walks of the teachers in my department. These were supposed to give me an overview of what teaching and learning was taking place, identify and share good practice, etc. These were also integrated into the schools PM system, so forms and feedback were also part of this system. OK, in theory.
    Trouble was I was only allowed to do these in my PPA and management time, no cover for any other time was allowed. The timetable meant that I always saw the same teachers with the same groups. Our timetables overlapped to a point that meant I could only visit one key stage and usually only one group for each colleague. Therefore no overview of what was happening. Like most poorly conceived systems it became a tick box exercise that provided little insight and had minimal benefit.

13. mandypowell190968

mandypowell190968 New commenter

It would be lovely if someone could define a learning walk. Load of rubbish, just more scrutiny.

14. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

You are describing lesson observations.Union could easily make a fuss.

ATfan and HolyMahogany like this.
  15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sounds a pretty pointless thing to do, and a waste of your management time.

ATfan and JohnJCazorla like this.
  16. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

You are right of course, the difference was that the walk was only mean to be a 5 to 10 min pop in with a tick box form, in theory. These things always take longer. But the real issue for me is that they were pointless and unproductive.
    While having and working to a set of rules is important. I also believe that what really matters is that any monitoring exercise has purpose and value. I don't object to observing others or being observed. What matters is that it is only done for professional reasons and that pupils and teachers benefit from the process. The stories we are frequently hearing on this site would indicate that many HT's use PM as a big stick to beat their staff with.
    Fortunately I am no longer required to do or be observed.

ATfan likes this.
  17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Annoying though they are, what could unions actually do about it? Unless enough people are prepared to take action, there isn't a lot, given that there is nothing in the rules to stop it.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just go for a quick 5 min wander about and call it a learning walk.
    Do it a couple of times and a week and you're done.

ATfan and towncryer like this.
  19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Our "learning walks" are up to 20 minutes and get a full write up and grading. Only SLT call them learning walks :rolleyes:

ATfan, towncryer and agathamorse like this.
  20. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

You could be honest and call it a “Warning Lurk”...