1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Walks (Observations by any other name)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Sep 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Now don't be silly. Cats have a perfectly workable understanding of quantum theory. Schrodinger's was a legendary pioneer, and I have yet to see a cat fail a quantum mechanics exam.

Having said this, they're very poor at disseminating science to the general public, preferring instead to sit in boxes. They're often seen as aloof and arrogant for this reason.

2. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Yes I was wondering the same thing. Most bizarre.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Remember @mikecom, just because you're paranoid, don't mean we're not after you...

You need to chill mate. Bust out the hobnobs and listen to some exciting down-with-the-kids grime anthems. Bet you got some of those big headphones they like right? Why not, invite Big Rog round too?

Compassman and Laphroig like this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

5. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

yeah... doggy biscuits

6. coldmetal

I was learning walked for the second time on Friday... I was told my feedback. I am now told the learning walker will do a repeat walk and all the things wrong I need to show evidence of planning for improvement. These (they say) are meant to be supportive. I received no support I am just told I'll be observed again on Tuesday. This makes me miserable and mounts huge pressure upon me and the others that it's happening to.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Lol, that's so dumb it's unbelievable.

Point them to the work on observation by Prof Rob Coe and others and tell them to jog on and come back with an apology when they've read it and understand it.

8. coldmetal

My apologies I haven't read Prof Rob Coe, but I will... Could you summarise the particular aspect of Rob Coe's work that you are referencing? I'd appreciate it

9. coldmetal

10. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Ok, @mikecom, why aren't you planning and marking on a Sunday like real teachers? Or enjoying a tasty Sunday roast? Or a walk in the country? Or whatever? You spend a lot of time on here complaining and stressing out. It's not good for you.

Pomz likes this.
  11. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Only 7 separate threads by @mikecom today. Looks like his job isn't too bad! I didn't think he would last this long. Is 7 different threads by one person in a day a TES record. If so, well done @mikecom .

12. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I'm sure the amount of time he spends whining... Err I mean seeking advice... on here, in no way impacts his teaching or attitude at work to the extent that he is repeatedly observed teaching...

Alldone likes this.
  13. cazzmusic1

cazzmusic1 New commenter

Hello @mikecom

I understand how you're feeling.

If you've a chance to look at the UCU site, you'll see that several years ago they commissioned research on the mis-use of lesson observations, including learning walks, in the performance management process. The research findings helped to develop UCU policy and methods to resist unannounced observations.

The FE colleges that I've worked for that have been able to resist the introduction of learning walks are those with active union branches whose members who are willing to take action collectively, just as other posters on here have suggested.

Would the other union members in your college be willing to make a collective complaint?

Cazz

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It's a long way off being a record...

Alldone likes this.