1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Walks (Observations by any other name)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Sep 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

In the mix of the corporation tally ho! trying to be amazing and fantastic 'Learning Walks' minimum once a week but could be at anytime have been incepted. So all the teachers have to meet for half hour a week til after 5:00 to be told all about the learning walks. As teachers and lecturers we are supposed to say "Hooray for Learning walks" and isn't this a wonderful idea? However that is not the way many feel and effectively it's just Observation by any other name... is this OK?

install and drek like this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It sounds overkill to me....what does your union say? (You ARE in a union......aren't you?)

MacGuyver and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The NASUWT believes that learning walks are observations whatever else they may be called and therefore are covered by the instruction on classroom observation.

You should only be observed in accordance with the observation detailed in your performance management planning statement and the joint NASUWT performance management/appraisal checklist. You should not, therefore, agree to any other observations whatever they are called.

NASUWT in England.

If you're not in a union then.....:(o_O

tonymars, Compassman and Tinycat1234 like this.
  4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

At my last school, there were so many people doing 'learning walks', 'pop-ins', 'flavour-trails', 'student following', etc.., that I thought of getting hold of a row of old cinema seats and selling pop-corn on the door to make a bit of extra cash.

The flip side of this is the number of SMT, all of whom are earning at least half as much again as an experienced teacher, who spend their whole day sitting in the back of someone else's classroom.

5. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

It's always the time-wasters who sit at the back isn't it?

Maybe you should order them to sit at the front, where you can keep a closer eye on them, to make sure they're doing something useful.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

"Don't sit there! Come over here by me. Come on. Don't be shy. You need to see what goes on! You can't do that at the back. Don't you want to see me make spontaneous notes at the very time of writing? Of course you do! How are you going to know I'm on top of things? I WANT you to be near me."

Kids will titter. You might embarrass them sufficiently that they FOFF.

Yeah, yeah, in my dreams.

No. Just get yourself into the NASUWT and follow ASOSA.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yep.

drek and Tinycat1234 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Do they bring any biscuits with them ?

Mrsmumbles, Alldone, drek and 5 others like this.
  9. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Is the extra meeting covered by directed time budget?

Again, as previous posters have said, let your union know (join a union ASAP if you are not already a member).

10. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

The extra meeting is definitely not on.

Regarding learning walks, I think it really depends how they're done. I think it's right for SLT to walk around and have a feel for what is going on in their school (not be sat in their offices all the time), but at the same time you don't want to be constantly "Observed". There's a big difference between a quick wander through your classroom and going round half the school in a single lesson, compared with a formal "Learning Walk" where they sit down and observe for 10 minutes and fill in a proforma...

drek and Pomz like this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes but @grumpydogwoman ....

ASOSA only applies to schools. @mikecom is in an FE college so would not be covered by the ASOSA instructions even if he joined NASUWT.

12. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

I think SLT should be visible and around the school but supporting not just looking. There's a big difference between walking around and getting a feel and actually being part of things: actually help the teacher and children, form relationships, explain a misconception etc etc. I think anyone walking around will always feel stressful...

bonxie, tonymars, drek and 2 others like this.
  13. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

I'm sure, as I've posted on another thread, there's a direct correlation between the numbers of SLT out of class and class teacher stress levels/low moral.
    I've always said, despite having been on SLT myself, these people want to find faults.
    Otherwise they'd being doing themselves out of a job!!

14. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

If learning walks are so useful why not ask if you can all do them? No doubt this will not be allowed. Some wonder if they are more an instrument of power than improvement?

giphy-2.gif

rolysol, cazzmusic1 and Anonymity like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Are the learning walks happening to everyone in the college or just you?
    Are they instead of a formal, hour long traditional lesson observation?
    Are they helpful?

drek likes this.
  16. arianasarah866

arianasarah866 New commenter

I've always felt that the second any sort of feedback is given that learning walks become observations. Especially if linked to judgements etc. However I'm absolutely fine with anyone coming in to my class to look / spend time with the kids/ join in the lesson providing feedback etc isn't given in that formal way :)

drek likes this.
  17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

After reading Mike's comments on the other ludicrous thread, he really shouldn't be worrying. He could chuck teaching in at any time and immediately become a star stand-up...

wanet and fairypenny like this.
  18. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

For once I actually agree with you Mike - learning walks of this frequency and nature sound absolute tripe. This time I'd say definitely take a stand and say something - you will probably find many others in your college agree with you!

cazzmusic1 and drek like this.
  19. drek

drek Lead commenter

Same as my last 3 schools. Sharing of bad practice measures et al

20. drek

drek Lead commenter

Part of the 'compliance' measures in schools