1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

learning to write names.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mistyid, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Well, all this is about a minor point, but interesting none the less. [​IMG]
    If children learn their own way/version of writing their name should we be 'correcting' it, or allowing them to smarten it up, as they get to know correct letter formation, themselves?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't correct ... I teach correct letter formation then how to write their name [​IMG]

3. Msz

But neither do I confuse them by letting them colour in a name card

4. In that case, I am wondering about this.
    As I say, a minor point, but food for thought.

5. Our posts crossed. I was responding to your previous post.
    I don't quite get your point about the name cards. Do you mean decorate them or go over the letters with coloured pens?

6. Msz

I mean overwriting on name cards which is essentially a colouring exercise unless an adult is there teaching correct letter formation and ensuring the child is forming letters correctly.

7. Well, it's a fine motor exercise, but doesn't teach correct letter formation. The fact that an adult has to be present and has to put in intensive support means that it takes up a lot of adult time to teach correct letter formation on an individual basis (for each child's name), which may take adults away from other, arguably more useful, activities.

8. Msz

If it is a fine motor exercise it doesn't need to be a name card.
    for each letter then it is a simple matter of putting them together for the name.
    or even their clipboards

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thumbie, I think correct letter formation is one of the single most useful things we teach. It can be taught successfully in small groups, too, as long as the teaching is systematic and limited to two or three letters. Name-writing is so random!

10. OMG. [​IMG]
    Msz, I think we are basically in agreement.
    I'm not defending overwriting a name card unsupervised as a letter formation exercise, but it is not a colouring exercise, is it? It's a fine motor control exercise. However, I agree, it's not a particularly good fine motor exercise. Of course there are lots of other exercises that would encourage fine motor control. Did I say there were not?
    Yes. But you gave the impression that you taught each child the correct way to write their names, not simply the correct way to form each letter of the alphabet. As each child has a different name this teaching has to be one-to-one to be truly effective, whereas, in my experience, teaching each letter can happen in small groups.
    Exactly - I love a clipboard, me! [​IMG]

11. It sure is! Part of my point, inky. [​IMG]

12. Msz

Have you ever watch a young child with a name card ? The dotted ones become a join the dots exercise - good fine motor but you could use other shapes. The grey (highlighted) lines or tramline letters get filled in with short marks rather than a continuous motion so I would argue it is no different to "colouring"

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes, but there's a awful amount of pressure on teachers to have the children writing their names independently, whether they're Sam or Alexander.

14. Msz,

And have not done so at any point of this discussion. In fact I do not defend it at all, and do not use it.

15. Msz

I'm afraid the ability to write their name is very important to most parents hense the pressure
    Thumbie I have said a number of times I teach correct letter formation before I begin teaching names

16. Well, children usually want to write their names independently. I'm all in favour of it if they are motivated, but I wouldn't necessarily emphasise correct formation in this particular context (see previous posts).

17. I agree that there is a lot of pressure on teachers for children to write their own names.
    Sadly, a lot of established practice is perpetuated which could do with a re-think.
    I would be very appreciative of a young child attempting to write their own name and take due interest in this - but I wouldn't perpetuate the practice by providing dots, or tracing paper - or by forcing the issue according to previous common practice or pressure from 'others'.

18. Msz

Thank you for putting into words what I was trying to convey

19. We have 'signing in' sheets in their trays and when they arrive in the mornings they have one line of their name to write, it is in dots to start with then i take letters away then for the older ones they like to do their surnames. They do this with their parents and for the younger ones it is optional (however they like to be like the older ones!) Obviously there is the issue for those who arrive late every day or parents don't drop off but we try and sit with those ones. That is the only time we sit and write their names with them. We do put an emphasis on the children writing their names on their free art work. It works for us anyway and provides a little settling in routine for the children in the mornings

20. You can download info dot font from google, but I use a self registration book that the children do every morning when they come into school, just before I do the register. I have a printed sheet with a space for the days of the week and I write their names in yellow highlighter for them to trace over, The sheets are stuck into a scrapbook type book. Gradually as they learn to do part of it I reduce the letters I help them with. So for example they might write their first name but need help with their second name All my Reception class could write their full name by Christmas. Hope this helps