1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

learning to write names.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mistyid, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Is it this one?
    http://www.kidzone.ws/tracers/none/tracer-form.asp

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

What is wrong with doing it yourself?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Can I just ask ...do people actually find it an effective way to teach children to write their name correctly?

4. I've got handwritten names for them to copy rather than write over. What do others do?

5. Msz

I teach them how to write their name forming each letter correctly in order.

6. I do that as well but have the name cards available for them to use when they need to name their models, writing etc.

7. Msz

I used to but found copying reinforced bad habits which took longer to correct than teaching correctly from the start.

8. It is not uncommon to look at how children write their name throughout primary school to find that at least some of them still write their name unrelated to correct letter formation - and related to their first attempts at learning to write!
    I agree with Msz and think that there is an overemphasis on children writing their names too young, and this gets worryingly embedded as their name is 'personal' to them - and they get attached with how they first learn to write it.

9. I suppose this eventually becomes their signature, unique to themselves partly because of the idiosyncratic formation.
    It's useful if children can write their names on work, and being able to write their name is part of their sense of identity, quite often taught by parents (sometimes all wrong, I know!).
    I'm not sure that and insistence on them forming the letters correctly overrides this advantage of their being able to 'make their mark'.

10. Sorry - "that the"

11. Msz

often when they arrive in nursery being able to "make their mark" might be drawing a series of marks some which might look a bit like letters or even just squiggles which they say/recognise is their name.
    So according to your argument you should just leave it at that...

12. 'Making their mark' is a forerunner to writing their signature. Everyone develops a signature, and quite often it can be just such a series of squiggles. I'm not saying that we should not teach children to form letters correctly, and indeed to write the letters of their name correctly like any others. However, we should acknowledge that their 'mark' has a value of its own as their personal name writing attempt, and something a bit different from the conventional correctly written word.
    So, while practising correct letter formation with a child I would concentrate on individual letters using groupings where the formation is similar, rather than concentrating on their names. This is likely to feed through into their letter formation when writing their name but will not put pressure on them to believe there is a right way to 'sign' when 'making their mark'.

13. Just to add, obviously I would have all examples supplied by adults, of children's names, written with correct formation, and encourage parents to write it correctly at home. But I would not emphasise correct formation to children attempting to write their name on work etc., as their attempt is their own personal 'mark'. I would instead express pleasure that the child has written their name, and tolerance of the squiggly nature of it. I would trust that the word would become more legible as the child's fine motor skills and letter formation improved.

14. Msz

Which applies equally to that squiggle they produce pre any letter shapes appear

15. Agreed.

16. Msz

but lavieestbelle asked about "teaching" how to write their name

17. Msz, I was saying what I do.
    I have handwritten names available to them, and I model correct formation when writing their names, but concentrate on individual letters, in groups, when teaching correct formation.

18. Msz

I don't teach them to write their name until I've taught correct letter formation so there is no conflict.

19. But an element of this problem is that children frequently learn to write a version of their name at home, or initiate attempts to write or copy it themselves. This leads to a genuine and interesting question about how best to support name writing in foundation.

20. Msz

Most young children arrive in reception writing a form of their name taught at home but normally we have taught the correct letter formation by half term so we have 2 and a half terms to correct it [​IMG]
    Most of our children are writing their name with correct letter formation by this point in the year since we stopped encouraging over writing and copying from name cards.