1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning to read and write?

Discussion in 'English' started by alfiejb, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

After spending hours planning various subjects to keep me going for the next few weeks in my new job I have a problem.

I have a child (age 12, ebd, looked after) who I am teaching one on one, he cannot read or write and has no previous schooling.

I have come up with some great projects (mainly around sport as that is where his only interests lie apart from american things!) and have linked it into English, science, maths, pshe, cookery and art. His main sports project is about 60 hours worth of learning.

A lot of what I am going to be doing will be him dictating, me writing and him copying into his project book. However once I have formed a relationship with him (dislikes authority and little trust in adults) I would like to go back to basics to get him to start reading and writing, even at a basic level. I am having trouble planning this though. My background is mainly in youth work and then in performing arts teaching and I have had no experience in early years which is why I am not sure how to go about this.

I have seen lots of worksheets and plans, however they all seem to be for early years and I don't want him to feel patronized with A is apple etc. He is bright when talking and especially bright in sports (ice hockey, snowboarding, bmx, football).

Any ideas or links to resources would be appreciated! Or if you have any documents you could send.

Thanks in advance!

2. This is excellent. Thanks.