1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning to learn

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by angel21, Jul 9, 2012.

1. angel21

angel21 New commenter

Hi all,

I have been asked to deliver sessions on 'How to learn' across KS3 and Ks4. I was wondering whether anyone has any resources that would give me a starting point. VAK would come into play, but if there's anything else that anyone has had any success with, please could you forward it to me:

aim_fireuk@yahoo.com

Thanks

2. angel21

angel21 New commenter

Hi all,

I have been asked to deliver sessions on 'How to learn' across KS3 and Ks4. I was wondering whether anyone has any resources that would give me a starting point. VAK would come into play, but if there's anything else that anyone has had any success with, please could you forward it to me:

aim_fireuk@yahoo.com

Thanks

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I don't know about resources. But if you are delivering a session referring to the old chestnut of VAK, I would certainly remind all teachers that the most successful students will be those that adapt to working in all three ways...not just being developed in one 'style' which may have been misidentified anyway.

Mark

4. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

SO last century darling, Bloom's taxonomy of learning domains is good - although, it is also very last century !!! but a very good starting point

5. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Another thumbs-up here for Bloom's Taxonomy!

6. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

PLTS (Personal Learning and Thinking Skills)
    HOTS (Higher Order Thinking Skills - focussed on effective questionning)
    BLP (Building Learning Power - Guy Claxton)
    are the current ones! There's lots on the net.

7. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

VAK can kiss my ar5e
    "how do you like to learn little child?"
    "ermmmm, let me think sir.... I'd much rather do stuff than read or listen to you, so I guess Kinaesthetic"
    "are you sure?"
    "yeah doing stuff lessons are loads more fun, plan more of them"
    Doomed from the start!
    Thumbs up for Bloom's Taxonomy though.... even if it simply states the blindingly obvious.
    I also wouldn't look on the internet for a fad, much better to re hash someone else's work with your own spin on it and make up your own acronym. (thats how to climb the ladder folks!)
    Perhaps this will help.... http://acronymcreator.net/

8. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Certainly the use of Bloom's taxonomy can help when thinking about the kinds of questions we ask students. I have linked here to the Brighton and Hove Assessment for Learning Project - Questions worth asking (my blog is on Maths but the project applies to any subject).
    I have listed some further resources on Bloom's Taxonomy here. The presentation from Kurwongbah State School is very helpful.

9. 007maths

007maths New commenter

10. I read one of these links, and here's a typical quote:
    "SOLO is a powerful mental model for students – and is capable of
    changing the way they think about their own learning outcomes. With
    SOLO, students understand that declarative and functioning learning
    outcomes are the result of effort and the use of effective strategies
    rather than luck or fixed abilities. They are able and motivated to
    monitor their own progress in a learning task and to make smart
    decisions on their next steps."
    I had to google SOLO to see if this page was a **** take. It turn out it's not.

11. 007maths

007maths New commenter

I don't see what is wrong with wanting students to know how they can progress, encouraging them to become resilient and motivated.
    Teachers will use a strategy that they find appropriate and is appropriate for their students. Some may choose to use this one after they have been made aware of it. I'm aware of a number of teachers that have had success with students going down this route, which is why I suggested it.

12. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Correction....
    SLT will find a strategy that they find fashionable and is new for their own gains. Many will force teachers to use this one after they have been made aware of it or until something newer comes along.

13. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

[​IMG]

14. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

You could try looking at thinking skills and crosscurricular skills - help students to develop skills they can use in all lessons e.g. minmaps etc. Lots of ideas if you google it.