1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning to count

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by CooperSM, Jan 4, 2017.

1. CooperSM

CooperSM New commenter

Hi all,

I have a child in my class who is September born, he's 5, but he can't recognise any number other than 0. He can't count either. We have tried lots of different strategies, songs, objects, pictures, rote, counting in the outdoor area...it's like he just switches off like typing errors into a computer.

Any ideas to help him obtain any of these number skills would be hugely appreciated, especially if they're fun and I can get him to interact in some way.

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there.
    The skills mentioned are different skills so I'd be looking to break it down. So, reading numerals is no different to to reading letters..how is his reading?
    you say he can't count? Ok so what do you actually mean by that? Do you mean he can't say the counting words in the right order.... not any? Or he knows some but not others? Or he knows the number words, but can't say them in order. Or says the numbers but can't do one to one correspondence? Can he give you one or two objects if you asked him to? It helps if you can break down exactly what he is finding hard and whether this is isolated to number or goes through other areas of learning.

Kartoshka likes this.