1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning times tables

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocolover, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I want my year 2 class to start learning 2 times tables etc.
    Has anyone got any suggestions of fun ways that they actually learn their tables. I don't want to go old school and get them receiting!
    Thank you.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I use Percy Parker in Y2

3. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Percy Parker for singing and actions - great fun.
    Counting / making columns with 2p coins or numicon pieces to match what they are saying.
    Go for chanting as well - if you set the children to recording themselves, individually/ in groups it makes a great competition. Sam liked chanting because he said it had the same tune for every
    table!
    Buy 'teaching tables' for the computer - individual or competition work. You can try it for free and parents can get it at home.
    www.teachingtables.co.uk/

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

egg boxes (2 boxes of a dozen eggs) are good for arrays as are bun tins

5. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Timez Attack!
    www.bigbrainz.com - basic package teaches all times tables 2-12, freely downloadable. GREAT fun!
    (I'm not trying to sell it - I liked playing it as much as my Y1 class). Anyway, I've certainly never bought it myself - happy with the basic package.

6. I use the musical ones on Youtube. Just type in times tables.