1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning sustainable development through music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Evacheng, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I am a PhD student at Brunel University. My current research project is about ‘Learning sustainable development through music in British secondary schools’.
    What I am working now is trying to identify the current situation of using music to promote sustainble development in England's secondary schools. Could you help me answer the following questions, which may take you less than 10 minutes. I will be grateful if I can get your feedback here or in my email (yusi.cheng@brunel.ac.uk).
    Part A (For secondary music teachers):
    1. Are your school ‘sustainable school’ or ‘eco-school’? If you do not mind, can you tell me the name of your school?
    2. Does your school use music as an instrument to extend young people’s learning on sustainable development? How they do that?
    3. Do you and other music teachers in your school incorporate sustainable development in KS3 music curriculum? How often do you do this?
    Part B (For non-secondary music teachers):
    1. Have you heard of some secondary schools that use music as an instrument to extend young people’s learning on sustainable development? Do you know how did they do that? And can you tell me the name of those schools?
    2. Have you heard of some secondary schools or music teachers that incorporate sustainable development in KS3 music curriculum? Do you know how did they do that? And can you tell me the name of those schools?

Thank you for your time. I am looking forward to your reply.

2. There is no such thing as sustainable development - there is just development that uses up resources in such as a way that our perception of the availabilty and what is "limitless" is fooled into thinking something is going to last forever , or at least for long enough for it not to be our problem.
    Whenever I hear this phrase "sustainable development" I despair - it is simply self deception by the human race. Sustainable development is a lie - and therefore I don't incorporate any of those things into my music lessons.

3. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Dear evacheng
    I'd be delighted to help you in this valuable endeavour. Answers below:
    Part A
    1) No
    2) No
    3) No
    Part B
    1) No
    2) No
    I hope that helps.