1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning sustainable development through music in secondary schools

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Evacheng, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I am a PhD student at Brunel University. My current research project is about ‘Learning sustainable development through music in British secondary schools’.
    What I am working now is trying to identify the current situation of using music to promote sustainble development in England's secondary schools. Could you help me answer the following questions, which may take you less than 10 minutes. I will be grateful if I can get your feedback here or in my email (yusi.cheng@brunel.ac.uk).
    1. Have you heard of some secondary schools that use music as an instrument to extend young people’s learning on sustainable development? Do you know how did they do that? And can you tell me the name of those schools?
    2. Have you heard of some secondary schools or music teachers that incorporate sustainable development in KS3 music curriculum? Do you know how did they do that? And can you tell me the name of those schools?

Thank you for your time. I am looking forward to your reply.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you mean. Presumably schools where they make their own instruments out of recycled materials?

3. Sorry for my unclear description.
    The most often-quoted and widely recognized definiton of 'sustainable development' (SD) is: 'a development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs'. The field of SD includes three parts: environmental development, economic development and social development.
    The main purpose of my current study is to examine whether music education can be a powerful means towards SD in schools, and to investigate music teachers' approaches on integrating SD into KS3 music curriculum in England.
    Yes, the activity you mentioned is one way of learning SD though music education. Do you know which secondary school is doing this or did this?

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

5. Oh, that is a really good resource for teaching. I think I will use this in my future practices and recommend to other teachers as well. Thanks for your sharing.

6. Due to the limited time of music teaching weekly, the pedagogy becomes very important. How to enable students learn SD in their music classes and not impact their music learning simutaneously? This is what I want to find out in my research.

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Why does it have to be done through their music lessons? Surely there are subjects where the issue of sustainable development is rather more relevant, and where learning about it will impact their subject learning, but for the better.
    There are many issues in this world that it is valuable for students to learn about. That doesn't mean that every one of them should be addressed in every subject.