1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Learning Support/Support for Learning overseas.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by stumigoo, Nov 17, 2011.

  1. I have posted on here before as I have (for the last two years) looked at the possibility of teaching overseas. I have been in fulltime teaching for three years now and my subject area is Religious Education and Philosophy.
    Over the past year I have worked very hard at gaining experience and professional development in the area of SFL or Learning Support. I also have an Undergraduate degree in Psychology which has a specific focus on both Educational and Child Psychology.
    I have noticed that there are a few vacancies for SFL teachers at various schools abroad, and I am wondering what level of qualifications these schools are looking for? I know that nearly all of the SFL teachers that work in Scotland started out life as a classroom teacher before building up 'inhouse' experience in supporting young people, and I suppose I am now in a similar boat. I got the chance to look at one particular school's website and they (helpfully for me) have indicated what qualifications each of their teachers have. I noticed that every teacher within the SFL department did not have a 'Learning Support' degree or equivalent, but had a teaching degree. Is this usual for overseas schools? Or are they in general looking for more? And would my experiences in Pscyhology have any bearing on my suitablility for a teaching role?
    Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. wrldtrvlr123

    wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

    In my experience (3 schools as SEN teacher/admin), int'l schools recruiting SEN/Learning Support staff will ask/shoot for a candidate with certification and experience in a relevant area and better schools will probably receive some applications with what they are seeking.
    That doesn't mean they would not at least interview someone like you and you would then have the opportunity to show them why they should look beyond the paper. Good luck!

  3. Thanks for the reply. As I have mentioned already, much of my experience does come from simply 'being a teacher', however I have put the following on my application -
    - Experience from my Undergraduate degree in Educational and Child Psychology.
    - Local authority accredited Learning Support courses (inlcuding specialised courses in autism and 'at risk' children).
    - Three years voluntary work within a charity for children with varying degrees of disabilities.
    - Three years classroom teaching of primarily large mixed ability class sets (therefore having to differentiate and support children at all levels).
    - Direct experience in working with SFL departments in designing materials, courses and curriculum areas for my subject.
    Again no 'SFL bit of paper' but hopefully these kinds of experiences will add weight to any application and show that I am clearly passionate about this area of teaching and that I would make a suitable candidate.

Share This Page