1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Support Structure - International School

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by harry f, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I work overseas in an international school as SENCO. It's only me at present, but we are looking to review our strategy in the next few months. What sort of structure would typically be in place for a 500 pupil upper school (independent - high achieving, international)? It would probably involve employing LSAs for general in class and small group support (EAL too possibly). We don't charge for support at the moment, but I know some schools do.
    Any feedback welcome.
    Many thanks
    Harry F

2. Hi all,
    I work overseas in an international school as SENCO. It's only me at present, but we are looking to review our strategy in the next few months. What sort of structure would typically be in place for a 500 pupil upper school (independent - high achieving, international)? It would probably involve employing LSAs for general in class and small group support (EAL too possibly). We don't charge for support at the moment, but I know some schools do.
    Any feedback welcome.
    Many thanks
    Harry F

3. Hi Harry,
    The school I'm at employs three SEN teachers, one as SENCO in the secondary school. For students who require a lot of individual support their parents (on the school's recommendation) can pay for a personal assistant whose contract is managed by the school. This works well most of the time but it would be better to have he flexibilty of LSAs. Our SEN depts (both primary and secondary) are fairly seperate but their is obvious a lot of overlap in provision. As far as I can gather this is a fairly large set up as we have a very open admissions policy and take a lot of students that other International schools would not.

4. Hi Tino
    Did you see the match on Saturday too!? I'm NUFC as well...typical Newcastle.
    Anyway, thanks for the reply..we have a couple of kind of external assistants (paid by parents), but as you say, I would like the flexibility of LSAs too. So as I understand, the parents only pay if an assistant is used, yes?
    Thanks
    Harry F

5. Didn't manage to see the game but I've heard all about it! Very typical Toon, that game just about completely sums us up......
    Here the parents only pay if an assitant is required (and even then then can refuse but I haven't witnessed that yet).