1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning support interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by 123Vanilla, Oct 14, 2017.

1. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Olunchick Try doing some supply for a while. It keeps you up to date and gets your face known in schools. The winter is coming and lots of illness can mean schools looking for cover. I covered private nurseries and schools for a while years ago. It also gives you a chance to see which schools you would like to work in and the ones you want to stay clear of.

2. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Hi Pickles
    It sounds as though the location of that school was not the best? Keep plodding on, that is all any of us can do right now.

Olunchick, best of luck. It just has to be a matter of time for you, surely? Keep your chin up, I will keep my fingers crossed you strike lucky soon!

I am done with education. I can't afford to do it, but am volunteering with the local Citizens Advice Bureau. I love it there (when not technically challenged!), but alas it is not paid work. Have just applied for a paid post, closing date was yesterday and haven't heard anything. Will chase up tomorrow as interviews are week commencing the 30th October. Feeling rather unemployable to be perfectly honest.

3. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

4. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Doesn't feel like it galerider.. it really doesn't

5. galerider123

@123Vanilla that's a tough feeling. But you are skillful and kind enough to work for CAB. That's got to read well on the CV.

6. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Have you considered other areas such as Barnados or Mecap. I know our local Mencap are crying out for people. They are even prepared to work around mums with children. Someone I know( qualified and experienced) has walked straight back into a job after leaving to go elsewhere and then it not working out.

123Vanilla likes this.
  7. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Well, I applied for a paid CAB post in another town and did not get shortlisted. Two solid days I spent on that application, applying the STAR approach to each of the 15 criteria (as requested!). Totally fed up with the whole process now, Don't even want to volunteer any more.

8. galerider123

Well, the thing about volunteering is that you DON'T have to. But it is a very impressive thing to have on your CV for other things you might want to do.
    Weren't you considering going into counselling at one point?

9. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Oh galerider, I have totally lost the plot career wise, I haven't a clue what I am doing anymore. The last ten years have been sporadic job wise. Left teaching, had son, about to return teaching, struck down with stupid bloody breast cancer, took ages to recover, lost direction, lost confidence, both recent jobs been made redundant from, no clue where to go next! What the hell do people do?? Counselling? Mmm. I may have considered it at one point. Looked at retraining, but doubt I have the stamina or finances to see it throuhg. Just at a loss really.

10. galerider123

123Vanilla likes this.
  11. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Thanks galerider much appreciated

galerider123 likes this.
  12. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

I’m sorry to hear your story Vanilla, but stay positive and keep applying and you will strike luck.

I am desperate for a job myself and regret giving in notice in my previous school. Circumstances at home had changed and I felt I needed to be at home. Now I realise I could have managed, I obviously didn’t realise how lucky I was as the school was supportive and kids were great I should have held on to the job.

Now I had a year off, I feel slightly out of the loop and it’s hard gaining employment again. I have another interview coming up - I really want that job, I am familiar with the school it’s a good school and just down the road - like 1 mile away from me.

galerider123 and 123Vanilla like this.
  13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Vanilla, sorry you've had such a horrible time, but don't give up - keep looking, keep applying and you'll get there. Have you talked to any agencies about supply TA work? xxx

Olunchick - good luck at the next interview.

14. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Thanks Olunchick and Sunshine, just feeling sorry for myself right now.

Olunchick, I know what you mean about leaving a job. In hindsight, I would not have left my teaching post so hastily to be with my daughter, I know now, I should have stayed put until I found another job. Shouldn't have moved south to north as it seems a whole lot harder to find suitable employment (or maybe that is how it seems). Best of luck with your forthcoming interview, I shall keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. What day is your interview?

Sunshine, I shall keep persevering and look at agency work for sure..:)

galerider123 likes this.
  15. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Thank you for your kind thoughts Vanilla and sunshine.

Interview is on Monday morning, 1:1 reading comprehension task first then interview. I think I will just do a standard reading comprehension, am not feeling adventurous.

123Vanilla likes this.
  16. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Well its certainly not for the want of trying. I too feel like throwing the towel in. I have an interview and can't motivate myself. Just sitting here thinking to myself hmm here we go again. Interview number 15.... (Or something like that)

People say that fortune favours the brave. Really? I'd like to see the evidence.

17. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

I know what your saying. You go over and above with preparation. And it's not good enough. So then you condense it down. Right now.
    And its still not good enough.

I'm finding the whole process very peculiar.