1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning support interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by 123Vanilla, Oct 14, 2017.

1. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

How frustrating olunchick.. but great news re; the interview, well done!

Agency work could be the way forward for now. One of the candidates at yesterdays interview does agency TA work and seems to get a fair bit of work come her way.

2. RozHarman

RozHarman New commenter

Hi there
    Have you had your interview yet? I'm Head of Upper School at at a special school which includes a post-16 department and I ca definitely give you some pointers as to interview questions and what the main focus is for SEND post-16 students. Let me know if I can help.

3. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Thanks Roz. Yes the interview was yesterday. It seemed to go well, but think I am lacking in experience when it comes to post 16 SEND. Good interview experience though.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Just want to wish all of you the best of luck with your continuing search for the right job x

pickles124, olunchick and 123Vanilla like this.
  5. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

GOOD LUCK TODAY PICKLES! Will be rooting for you and Dear Zoo!

6. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Well it went right the pan. 6 children waltzed into the room ibstrad of 8 so the task was doomed from the word go. As i planned for 8 children to be the 8 animals in the story. I had children refusing to wear the masks. It seemed almost too easy for them actually. They knew a camel was hiding behind a glap. Knew a snake was in a basket. I was gobsmacked.

They obviously know the story well. I made a big mistake 'assuming' i would get 8 childrem so im very upset. The school looked lovely although quite far out.

I feel like i can't do this.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  7. pickles124

Going to take a miracle!!

8. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Oh pickles that was mean of them. Surely if some were absent they could have picked two others to go. If they told you 8 they should send 8! We wouldn't do that at our school. It will have knocked you from the start. Still if you kept going you maybe in with a chance by the way you handled it.

9. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

How was the actual interview pickles, do you remember any of the questions?

10. olunchick

You can only do your best so don’t worry. I filled out and sent 2 more applications. Plus going to register with ESL. Hoping something will work out.

11. pickles124

It said in the email 'you will have up to 8 children'. I expected 8 children. Trust me i shall be saying something about this because im fuming over it. I didn't get an interview because the task bombed. I was going over the time limit because 2 of the kids kept shouting out. They were excited bless them but it was causing a disruption issue.

On the whole the whole thing seemed too easy for them. The mask idea was not the greatest idea.

It is not acceptable to give people the impression of a number of children and then go against that. I was too nervous to challenge it.

12. olunchick

Oh if it said “up to” it doesn’t mean exactly 8. I would take it as a group of children but no more than 8. Sigh.

I do feel for you. It’s hard enough getting shortlisted, it’s nerve wrecking going through the process and at the end of it you feel deflated. But keep going, ask for feedback. I feel I have learned from each of my failed interviews.

pickles124 likes this.
  13. pickles124

Im angry at myself for not clarifying as that piece of information would have made a difference. But as i say they didn't seem challenged. I just dint know what other activity i could have done without going over time.

I feel very low as its back to square one again.

14. olunchick

15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Pickles, sorry it didn't go too well. Reading your posts has made me think ... the vast majority of children in Reception classes are going to know 'Dear Zoo', 'Spot' and all the other lift the flap and other well-known stories - The Gruffalo, Mr Gumpy, etc. So it's fine to use one of those if you have a different story activity planned (re-writing the beginning together with different characters?) but you're not going to really engage them with just reading the story. I'm only just thinking this - hindsight is a wonderful thing!
    Maybe we are all trying too hard. Perhaps it would be better to look out for a newly published picture book, one they are unlikely to know, and simply read and discuss the story with them? Then you could have word cards for a couple of key sentences and see if they could put them in the right order and read the sentences together? What they are always really looking for is your interaction with the children.
    Don't give up!

16. pickles124

Hi Sunshine- the thing is though- as it said it was a storytelling activity, I thought it was gospel that the story HAD to be read because they were providing the book and soft animals.

I kept thinking "so does the story need to be taught to them, do they know the story already?" Maybe had I enquired further i could have saved myself from going down the plughole.

Well i went all out with this activity but then when i saw others with boxes and big bags I knew instantly before i even started that it wasn't going to go well. Even the night before i was having doubts about my activity. There wasn't much of a hook there. We were firing through the book with ease.

But I think i interacted with the children well. I helped them to put the masks on. I gave them a high 5 for getting the answer right. But too much faffing about resulted in it going off course.

It's hard to not try hard...because you've got to best the other candidates. Especially if its 1 job on offer.

I'm ok- just disappointed with myself.

17. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Was the book your choice or the schools? I know when I had to do a story telling interview with KS 2 I deliberately choose a book which was more obscure, short but had plenty to talk about.

From your description of the others carrying bags I'd guess they had story sacks.

Sorry it didn't work out.

18. pickles124

Hi there. No it wasn't my choice. But i wrongly assumed that the story had to be read. It still would have been challenging to know what task to do.

19. pickles124

The school would have been a right rigmarole to get to. I would have been looking at an hour and a hour. Possibly more in bad weather. Family and friends say maybe its for the best, and keep plodding on.

@olunchick and @123Vanilla- how are you both getting on? I presume its quiet on the Western Front?

20. olunchick

Hi pickles, I am bowing out of forums for a while, I’ll come back if there are any news.

Where I stand at the moment is I am in the process of registering with ESL and have completed 2 more applications. I am praying ESL finds me some work - I am looking for 2-3 days a week and in the meantime I will continue to apply for jobs that interest me with the council and continue hoping that something will come up.

Good luck to you with your search!