1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning support interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by 123Vanilla, Oct 14, 2017.

1. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Hello
    I have an interview for a LSA role in a vocational college for students with special needs. The young people are aged between 16 and 25 years. Any idea what kind of questions they may ask? It's a group interview followed by a one to one interview. I've never worked at a college or with this age group before, so feel a little daunted.

Thanks.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

I know very little about working with this age group ... but I imagine there will be more than the usual SEND questions, also safeguarding and possibly behaviour scenarios. I'm sure others will be able to give you good advice - just wanted to wish you luck at the interview!

3. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Yes and re the group interview it is as much as what you don't say as what you do . Think about body language too

4. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

A few that i remember a bit vaguely were:

How would you de-escalate a situation that is starting to get out of hand/out if control?

You see one of your students sitting in the local pub with a teacher/lecturer (I can't remember if they added that the student had a drink on the table, was eating a meal or it was simply that they just saw a student and a teacher sitting together at a table in a bar). What would you do?

You can see that for an individual student or group of students, they are off task and unengaged. The teachers teaching style isn't working. What fo you do?

How would you motivate learners?

5. pickles124

The pub question was the singular most hardest question i've encountered.

6. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Thanks for your comments everyone. I am preparing as I type! Safeguarding, what do you know about the college, what can you bring to the team, why do you want to work here, what would you do in xyz situation? Pickles, I hadn't thought of the pub scenario question. It could come up, given that the students are 16-25? Seriously do not like interviews,. Find the whole experience stressful. How are you getting on Pickles? I remember from other threads that you were job hunting? Any luck?

7. pickles124

Vanilla I shall be going on to my laptop shortly so i will type up what a model answer to that question would look like.

Read around challenging behaviour, restraint procedures, how to de-escalate, how to motivate teenagers etc

8. pickles124

I'm ok (ish) I think. Fretting more over the story-telling task more than anything else im sitting here laminating animal masks and all the time thinking will this be a hit with the children..

Honestly the whole process is nerve wracking as it looks like i will be there for the entire day!!

If i see any other info i will stick it on here

9. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Best of luck! I did an entire day for another job (which I did not get!) very draining and stressful it was too..

Thanks for the heads up on behaviour etc.. these are special needs learner, but still applies.

When is your interview?

10. pickles124

Ah ok was that for a primary, secondary or SEN role?

11. pickles124

What did your last interview entail? Any reasons why you fell at the last hurdle? My interview is on Friday morning...nerves are kicking in.

12. pickles124

When is your interview Vanilla?

13. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

It was for a student support role at a local agricultural college. The day comprised of a group interview (10 people trapped down a mine, who could you save first type scenario) followed by a role play (distressed student knocking at my door, but I have xyz to complete at the same time, so prioritising time) I then had to plan a well being event with a set budget and present to the well being team, followed by a formal interview. Just out of my depth really, wasn't the job I had anticipated it to be.

My interview for this one is Wednesday.

14. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Best of luck to you ladies, I hope you have a warm welcome at your schools as I really find it helps calm nerves. I hope you don’t have any tricky questions and all activities go as planned!

15. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Thanks olunchick but this is a vocational college with learners aged 16-25. No experience what's so ever. Think I will need oodles of luck! :)

16. pickles124

Hi Vanilla- just going through some of my old notes from a previous LSA role at a residential college. It would be useful to understand about CAMHS and how mental illnesses and disorders impinge on learning. What kind of alternative strategies could you employ in that setting?

Read around restraint procedures- PRICE and MAPA. What are they? How do they work? This will show that you are trying to do research.

Pathological demand avoidance is a syndrome and variant of Autism. I would read around common learning disabilities including physical ones- epilepsy, cerebral palsy, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculus etc

17. pickles124

Regarding the horrible pub question- I was talking to someone about this one. A very experienced LSA works actually works in a residential college. She sais it would depend on the age of the student. If the student is 18 then mental capacity is always assumed so if the pupil wanted a drink they could?

I would also go as far as to say that every student should have a medical and social care plan about what they can/cant not do. Where can they go? Who with/ How far? You need to look at Deprivation of Liberty Act and not restricting peoples choices.

For motivation- I would say use age appropriate rewards and have a think about how you will motivate or reward young people to learn and engage.

Have a look into the following conditions- AS, ADHD, PDA, SEMH, CSE

18. pickles124

Olunchick- I wouldn't say have any tricky activities as such, but I am quite anxious because wit my 15 minute story activity they want to see creativity. Which is fine but 15 minutes isn't that long. So I was thinking of doing role-play with animal masks and story sequencing.

I just hope that will go down well.

Blimey that agricultural college thing does sound like some army boot camp training day!

19. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Thanks for all of that Pickles, very helpful indeed.
    I am getting cold feet. No experience of this kind of work at all. Can only do my best!

Yes the college assessment day did resemble an army boot camp training day..horrendous!

20. pickles124

Do you have the level 2/3 qualifications?