1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning support in international schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Dramakween, Jul 31, 2019.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

All round good egg....hmmmmmm....really not sure about that

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Perhaps it would be helpful if you two took your squabbles elsewhere?

Yes there will be some decent schools with decent support systems that are inclusive places to work. Unfortunately there are just as many (if not more) that make the same claims but fall down in practice. It's worth doing your research, that's all I'm saying.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  3. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I'm Head of Inclusion in a UAE school. All schools here are, in theory, inclusive and are not allowed to refuse admission to any pupil on the basis of SEND. In practice, the schools that are outstanding and over-subscribed will put your SEND child on their waiting list, but somehow their name will never reach the top of the list, so by then you will already have put your SEND child in another school.

New schools are particularly susceptible to becoming 'attractive' to parents looking to place a child with SEND, as they are working hard to fill places and competing with established schools that already have a track record and ADEK/KHDA inspection. Some schools have an additional 'base' similar to a unit attached to a mainstream school and those with secondary provision may have an alternative curriculum such as ASDAN for those who are not on the GCSE pathway.

In my experience here, children with significant needs who would have an EHCP in the UK will have 1:1 support paid for by the parent. This is often an ABA-qualified Behaviour Therapist if the child has ASD, but otherwise someone who has some learning support/childcare experience and/or qualifications in their home country (often Filipinos). These people usually have a salary that is around £800 a month a most.

In my team, we have an Inclusion Teacher who is a UK qualified teacher with no specific SEN qualifications and a UK qualified teaching assistant, both British. If we were recruiting, I would give preference to someone with relevant CPD but wouldn't rule anyone out who didn't have it.

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Absolutely rosiecg, the same point was made by others too!

'Perhaps it would be helpful if you two took your squabbles elsewhere?
    '

As for our squabbles, getting a rise out of the ever so serious dumbell is all part of the fun :D

dumbbells66 and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  5. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Fun for you perhaps. Mostly tedious for the rest of us.

rosiecg, lottee1000 and Dramakween like this.
  6. Dramakween

Dramakween Occasional commenter

That’s enormously useful info. Thank you.