1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Support Assistants being used to deliver lessons in core subjects

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by jacmorrow, Nov 11, 2011.

1. I and 2 colleagues are grade 5 LSA's, another is a grade 4, and we are being asked to deliver English, Maths, Science and ICT to a small group of students with challenging behaviour in an inclusion room within a secondary school. We often research our own material and complete coursework under controlled conditions. Surley this responsibility should demand a higher grade - are we being "dumped" on?

2. I and 2 colleagues are grade 5 LSA's, another is a grade 4, and we are being asked to deliver English, Maths, Science and ICT to a small group of students with challenging behaviour in an inclusion room within a secondary school. We often research our own material and complete coursework under controlled conditions. Surley this responsibility should demand a higher grade - are we being "dumped" on?

3. melbanks

melbanks New commenter

I have just started a job and I am only either grade 3 or grade 4 TA due to the fact that this was the job advertised and which I applied for. However, I am an NQT Science teacher but couldnt find empolyment. School know this and have now given me a timetable (2 weeks into the job) which starts next week.... I am taking 1-1 and small groups for Science and Maths lessons - mainly year 11s. I think we're all being dumped on. I am happy to do this for a while though as I feel it will look good on my CV while applying for teaching jobs.... What does everyone else think about both of our situations?

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I think you are being dumped on from a great height and the school is taking the ****.
    That is my view on the matter.

5. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

You are being completely taken advantage of. You won't be able to start induction and you will be expected to plan and deliver lessons, mark work and report on progress. You won't be getting paid to do that, and you probably won't get much PPA time to do it all in.
    I'd speak to a union rep.
    You are also making it harder for qualified teachers to get work as you are effectively undercutting them in terms of pay. Why employ someone on £21k a year to do the job when they can get people like you who are willing to do it for a fraction of that.

6. My Higher level TA's work with pupils 'Teaching' Maths. BUT.... I plan the lesson and review and assess. I also overseee a lesson each week to check progress and get alot of feedback. They are happy to do this as they know that I am either available in the room, working with someone else or that a series of lessons have already been planned for them.
    Are you planning, assessing and recording too? That is where the issue lies.

Just my thoughts....