1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Supervisor Interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by GloriaSunshine, Dec 29, 2010.

1. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Whe you say "new to the teaching profession", do you mean that you are going to do a teacher training course of some kind? If so, what age range?

What advice are you looking for?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

3. Thanks for your reply, really encouraging :)

the TA is general support I think, but the interview sounds very informal, they just want to 'chat' with me and see how I perform in the classroom. I'm really nervous at the moment because I have never been around SEN children. But I'm willing to give it a go, and I think thats how I sounded in my applications - I'm really eager to get some experience of working with children and teaching. I plan to eventually do a PGCE but I want to be really, really sure before I go back to Uni, so thats why I want a job in a school to start. Yes pretty much party organiser/run around keeping the kids happy making sure they're not setting fire to anything, etc. I'm pretty approachable and friendly, I hope that this will shine through in the interviews.

They both definitely exist, thanks for the concern, not through agencies - one vacancy found on the jobcentre plus website, the other derbyshire county council website.

So general advice is just be myself and see what happens? Any pointers at all?

Thanks again!

4. Thanks for your reply!

I'm looking at maybe applying for a secondary PGCE, but I literally have no classroom experience, hence applying for TA/learning supervisor roles. I have a degree in English at the moment, and I'd love to teach secondary English to really progress with my own creative work and hopefully my passion for literature/writing/reading might rub off onto my students. That's the career objective so far anyway, but I want to make sure I'm cut out to be in the classroom before I commit to a PGCE - I heard they're really tough!

I'm looking for some advice for my upcoming interviews - one is for a TA in a SEN school, but as I have very little experience I wonder how I can impress the other teachers to show that I really want to be there - are there anythings they will really be looking out for? Anything specific that would help me in the interview?
    The second interview is for a Learning Supervisor role in a Secondary School - I'm more inclined to this role as I am thinking about teaching the secondary age - but like I say, I'd like some sort of advice or pointers to help me not seem so 'out of it' I think the main thing behind me at the moment that has got me the interviews is my passion for learning and willingness to teach (which has really been expressed in my applications), but I'm worried that my lack of experience will really be my downfall, especially as I don't have much on paper to justify my wanting to teach.

Thanks again!

5. I can see why you would think that the secondary position might suit you better but the reality is that it is more likely to kill any passion for English - you won't be teaching, simply trying to control behaviour, which will sap your energy and enthusiasm. If you feel I am being unnecessarily cynical then I suggest you have a look at the cover supervisor forum (and also, incidentally, the supply teachers' forum) to get a snapshot of the life and times of the cover supervisor. I loved being a TA (in the English department of a secondary school) but the pay was abysmal and I now work as a CS which is better paid but nowhere near as rewarding. For you, starting out, I would say you will learn invaluable skills as a TA and experience in an SEN school will be a wonderful opportunity. You may find that this is where your passion really lies. Good luck, whatever direction you decide to take!

6. CKK I am curious. Do you regard a change in position from TA to CS beng a form of promotion just because the pay is better? Aren't the skills involved, including some elements of teaching, as a TA be better and more valuable than just the supervisory duties which is all that a CS should be doing

7. Bronco, I think you can probably guess that I don't feel that becoming a CS is a promotion from being a TA, more a punishment for sins in a past life. Still, it pays the bills.
    I would agree with your assessment of the respective roles, which is why I recommended that the OP take the TA position, if offered.