1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning styles in SIMS?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ferrisbueller, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Nope, but 'preferred learning styles', I'm assuming VAK, are so last decade !!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If the teacher is an auditory learner will they be able to use the information? Surely far better for a member of SMT to stand at the back of the classroom and shout it out as you go down the list![​IMG]

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

LOL @ Blazer!!!
    I remember 5 or 6 years ago when we had the whole 'Learning Styles' $h!t being promoted as the key to amazing success for every student...I remember just holding my head in my hands and thinking WHY???? Before that we had a school 'expert' on Brain Gym, who I really enjoyed sharing my opinions with!!!
    Sorry to be unhelpful...but Learning Styles are a load of rubbish. A successful student will be a child who adapts to learning in a range of ways.
    Mark

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

If you subscribe to the whole VAK rubbish, then it makes sense that pupils will learn *more* by being challenged outwith their 'preferred' learning style*.
    *Stuff they find easy.
    Let's look at this.
    Auditory: how long can you listen actively? It's meant to be your age + 5 minutes, up to 15 years old. How much of that 20 minutes of talk will you retain?
    Visual: what exactly does this mean? lots of pictures, perhaps? Movies, maybe?
    Kinaesthetic: walking aimlessly around the room - perhaps you can look at pictures? But if you are not an 'auditory' learner, how will you ever take in any meaningful instructions? If you are not a visual learner, pretty pictures detailing the instructions won't help.
    Where exactly does reading and writing fit into VAK?
    We all learn by doing before anything else.
    Words are simply abstract pictures. How many of you actually 'read' anything? You are only likely to actually read a new word. We recognise the shapes of words we see all the time. We don't actually read them.
    Almost all of us can remember the words to a song without even trying. Far fewer have the ability to learn a poem by heart. Or a Shakespeare soliloquy. You need to learn a new skill to be able to do that - and where does VAK fit in? Mind you, I knew at least one actor who 'read' his part - he could visualise the page, but I can do that. But most actors aren't off the book till they have moved the piece. Doing, you see. They (mostly) have to have read the part first, though. Slightly differentfor dyslexics who have the part read for them onto audiotape (remember that?) and learn it by listening.
    It's psychobabble and it makes me angry.

5. I think that there were some really bad questionnaires out there that people used in form time to work it out.

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Ah - 'The Teacher's Toolkit'
    I've used that to impress SMT, to my shame.

7. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Indeed there were...some of the people at my school loved these and did them every half-term or so with there classes or tutor groups. They could never give me a satisfactory answer as to how a child's 'preferred learning style' could change so quickly...I just told them they were **** questionaires...
    Just what is the worst psychobabble or pseudoscience that so-called 'experts' have thrust upon teachers? My choice has to be Brain Gym...but I won't get started on that...
    Mark

8. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Sorry for spelling...meant with their classes, obviously!!!
    Mark

9. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

anyone fancy just answering my question?

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What is SIMs?

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

12. I thought you could pretty much anything in to SIMs (we have FFTD data, CATs tests results, G&T/SEN/looked after allocation, current level, target grades, module results etc).