1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Platforms

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by shaylane, Mar 8, 2011.

1. My school is thinking about investing in a learning platform, in particular the ´Fronter Learning Platform´ supplied by Pearson. We are a primary school and not sure whether this is the best platform to suit our needs or if there is a better one for primary schools. Is there anyone who is using a Learning platform that is working really well if so what kinds of things are you using it for and how has it benefitted the school?
    Many thanks
    Amy Wright

2. My school is thinking about investing in a learning platform, in particular the ´Fronter Learning Platform´ supplied by Pearson. We are a primary school and not sure whether this is the best platform to suit our needs or if there is a better one for primary schools. Is there anyone who is using a Learning platform that is working really well if so what kinds of things are you using it for and how has it benefitted the school?
    Many thanks
    Amy Wright

3. I've never used Fronter but based on what I've heard from others I wouldn't want to touch it. The fact that it's supplied by Pearson would not go in its favour as far as I'm concerned.

I love Moodle, although it might be a little heavy handed for a primary school. I hear good things about Frog and Edmodo can be a good, free alternative too. Might be worth posting in Primary (if you've not already).

4. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I would agree with moodle and its free you could then buy some webspace and host it.

5. Depending on what you want to do, then edmodo -free - is quite handy. I help primaries set up Moodle and if you use it judiciously it's good - certainly cheaper than Frog which is nice or Fronter (which isn't)

6. Moodle (not version 2.0 or above yet!) and get ready for a bit of tweaking and head scratching. The reward is an excellent VLE though.

7. Dear Amy.
    I hope you dont think me too forward. I found your query and thought I would reply because I am one of the representatives for Frog. Frog Primary is a relatively new product, produced at the request of our secondary schools, of which there are about 500 in the UK alone. It is being very well received in Primary schools as it has been written specifically for Primary schools. If you think you would find it helpful, perhaps you could have us in to show you the platform and how easy it is to use. It is a very dynamic, attractive and intuative platform which will save you time and money rather than take alot of learning to work out how to use (as many other platforms). There is no obligation and no cost to you should you want a visit from us. For more information please visit our website http://www.frogtrade.com/index.phtml?d=349232
    You will find my contact details on this website as well so do get in touch if you would like.
    Regards,
    Jessica Porter

8. I am so glad to read the post by Sorted about how the platform is used and any money invested actually is a waste if no one uses the platform. Whilst I am a Frog representative I am very aware that of the 22000 or so primary schools in the UK, no two are going to have the same needs and therefore each platform, either available to buy or build yourself, is going to need to be right for your specific needs. I really believe that you need to make a decision based on the ability and drive of your teachers as well as that of your pupils. A platform should be so much more than a virtual filing system and a communication tool between staff and any platform you choose to use should enable you to create an inspiring virtual classroom as easily and quickly as possible. Whatever platform you choose, as with all other products you would buy in life - a fridge, washing machine, car - check it all out. Do a test drive, play with them all. Please dont ever make a decision based on one product and one meeting, if the product is worth having any sales person/company will encourage you to explore all your options. When you have looked at everything you will know you have made the right decision.
    Good luck with your research and please do get in touch if you want to have any more information.
    Jessica

9. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Hi, does anyone know if assignments and assessment comments handed in in one school year, carry over into the nbext year? I had Year 10 btec last year, and am still working through their work that was submitted online, and sending comments back to them, and I teach them next year too and I'm a bit concerned that once the new timetable is inputted into my area and Year 10 become year 11 that all the assignments set, work submitted and comments will disappear??

10. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Must say that I'm talking about a learning platform there!

11. Zoki59 - to answer your question about whether last year's work carries on this year or is "wiped" - it basically depends on the school and the learning platform and the policy. I'd have thought year 10 going into Year 11 would automatically still have their work as it's a two year course -but I can't speak for your VLE and school.

12. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

I think a similar thread has come up before.
    Why do you want a VLE? Pick one that'll do what you want, and make sure you have the resources (time, people etc) to populate the content.
    Personaly, I've not heard good things about Fronter, but I'm unaware as to how it has been developed or what their development plan is.
    Do not get ripped off by companies doing the hard sell. Our LA wasted thousands on a company to implement SharePoint that, as far as I'm aware, was hardly used by most schools. Unfortunately they didn't customise it for schools' needs.
    Moodle is fine, and a company like schoolsanywhere will customise it for you...and it's free and been about longer than Facebook. It can at first be tricky to learn how to edit the content, but practise helps, and it depends what you want out of it. I've used it and recommend it.
    Any SCORM learning package will go on to any good VLE.
    'Frog' is the Rolls Royce. Other than being expensive, I've only heard brilliant things about it. With 'Frog', consider value for money.