1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge / Sandford Award

Discussion in 'School trips' started by zoeermartin, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Hello all,

Firstly, I was wondering who is aware of the Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge and Sandford Award?

Those who are, is it important that cultural venues have one/both of these quality marks for you to choose to visit? Do the awards help your decision making when booking a school trip, i.e. are you more inclined to go to a venue if they have the awards over another venue that doesn't?

Are the awards a requirement for gaining authority to visit specific venues from a health and safety/risk assessment perspective?

Those who are not aware of the awards - are there any other quality marks you would like a cultural organisation to have or be supporting, e.g. Arts Award?

Thank you!

2. RichardPThomas_

RichardPThomas_ New commenter

From an EVC perspective I value the LOTC quality badge, however if a provider didn't have this it wouldn't stop us from using them if they offered a high quality experience.

With an adventurous or overseas provider it is ideal if they have this as it demonstrates a high standard and reduces paperwork for the school. If they don't have it then we would provide them with a questionnaire asking key questions about there health and safety procedures.

Again with the likes of museums etc it is good to have it, if they don't then we may ask them to fill in a questionnaire but it would depend on what activity the learners are taking part in.

There is also the LOTC mark for schools that is awarded to those who demonstrate good practice in this area - we have this accreditation where I work :)

solvacrime likes this.