1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Outcomes KS3

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mammon, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, long-time reader, first time poster:
    At KS3 do you show the students the "must", "should" and "could" part of the objectives at the start of the session, or do you state what you would like them to do without referring to "must", "should" and "could"?
    What do you think? Any help appreciated.

2. I use be able, know & understand rather than must, should and could with KS3. I use the must, should and could with KS4 only.

I always display them on the IWB, and get them to copy them down.

3. Not must, should and could, but I do sometimes colour code them - plain background colour for level 4, bold for level 5, blue for level 6 etc.

4. I do Know and understand objectives that they write down off board and then I talk about what this will mean in real terms but it is not always must could should. If im doing learning outcomes in my plans I use All will Most will Some will.

5. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I don't use any of them, I realise I'm seriously hindering the education of my kids. Sorry, learners, stakeholders... What's trendy this week?

6. I long for the day (will it ever arrive) when schools can be left to teach without the fear of Ofsted. Why headteachers really give them so much credence is beyond me. When I think about the amount of rubbish I do purely because Ofsted would like it, it makes me feel dreadful. Just think of the amount of actually useful stuff I could do, like plan better lessons, make better resources and give students better feedback.
    The sheer number of ways of expressing outcomes makes a mockery of all of them. Different people think different things are better.
    • All/most/some
    • Must/should/could
    • WALT/WILF
    • Know/understand/explain
    My school has picked all/most/some as its preferred style - and hammer us to use it extensively in sharing objectives with pupils. There is the criticism that some students will turn off if they believe they are only an "all will" student, thus disenfranchising themself from progressing to the "most" or "some" outcomes.
    Does sharing objectives/outcomes really make a difference? When I was at school (not that long ago, I'm 26), I used to turn up to a lesson, the teacher would tell us the title, and we'd get on with it. Now I'm expected to spend 10 minutes at the start of the lesson 'sharing' the objectives and discussing the 'bigger picture' of how they fit into their 'learning journey'. And 10 minutes at the end discussing the 'learning destination' they've arrived at, and what all/most/some of them can now do. I personally think it's utter garbage and more ironic Ofsted-pleasing driving down of standards.

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I think you'll find that actually you spend that time doing that rubbish because your school's leadership team think/claim that Ofsted would like it.
    I have worked in Outstanding schools, and taught outstanding lessons. I have never used any of the nonsense spoken about above.

8. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I have never been considered outstanding, but I agree with tafkam.

Try this experiment. Having done all your woulds/shoulds/WILTs/Walts ad nauseam, distribute some post-its as a plenary and ask the kids to write, anonymously, what they have learnt in the lesson.

The results may surprise you.

9. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Many teachers moan about the public perception of us. As a (coughs) 'profession' we deserve to be thought of as cretins for this kind of conversation.
    How can we claim professional status when so many teachers blindly do whatever they are instructed to do, even if it contradicts previously trendy stuff, and even if it will soon go out of fashion?

10. hello,
    I was once observed having my kids copying the objectives off the board, and i was heavily criticized for it, because if 'ofsted were in, im not demonstrating any progress or learning.' so be careful.

Have ALL/MOST/SOME been officially changed to must/should/could?? I havent heard anything about it in my school, the odd teacher has returned from meetings to say thats what they witnessed, so do i change my style or keep doing what im doing? I appreciate we should share objectives and let the students know what we expect form them, but i must admit, even ALL/MOST/SOME isnt ideal either because ultimately i want all of tmy students to do all of the task/lesson objective, i dont want them to just do the first part (which i feel the all/most/some and the must/should/could) is allowing students subconsciously to d. im a DT and art teacher and the only success criteria systems i feel arre worthy of bing typed and displayed are the graded ones, because when i was last observed by the county, I used graded success criteria and explained to the students that level 4.3s are to do...4.7s ... and 5s..., but then i said, to the 4.7s, that if theyd like to try and attempt the level 5s work, then thats fine, shows ambition. but with graded systems you fear segregating students. whats best?