1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning outcomes for the early years

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by ScotSEN, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Hi

We are taking a leap into the dark and starting to plan using the CfE learning outcomes. It was decided that it would really helpful if we could get all the 1st level outcomes collated into some kind of document rather than having to look through each subject which is what we tried to do rather unsuccessfully at our last staff meeting. Has anyone done this yet? Or are we a first? If you have done this or know were it is possible to get a copy let me know. It will save our poor overworked secretary loads of typing.

Thanks.

2. Do you mean so you don't have all the other stages on the same page? (It's been a long day and my brain is on go slow!) If so, you go on http://www.curriculumforexcellencescotland.gov.uk/outcome... then click on the curriculum area you want(on the left hand side). Then click on early/first/whichever level you want (on the right hand side) and it comes up with just the outcomes for that level. Hope that helps (if not let me and my frazzled brain know).

3. I've made 3 documents for our staff - Early, First and Second. It lists all the outcomes for the areas in one document so i's easy to see at a glance what LO are covered.

I'd be happy to share!! Maybe if I could pick you brains regarding how you plan to set out your planning???

Leave your e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Carol

4. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

thanks for the offer. The CfE fairy left a copy on my desk today.

I'm afraid we are struggling with planning. If we come up with anything good I'll let you know.

5. Re planning struggles and Cfe, is there a GLOW group for this---or could we not start one?

6. A few councils are piloting different forms of planning, also remember these are still DRAFT outcomes. Orkney has a good online guide to planning and some proformas. Adding outcome codes to your existing planning seems to be another option.

7. Your early, first satage etc sheets sound really good. Would it be possible for you to send me a set or put them on the resources page. If you are willing to share I will pass on my email address.

I am trying to tie SHM Maths into the new curriculum at the moment
    macdeut

8. We're also trying to tie in SHM - did you know there is a download on their site that fits into outcomes?? I'd be happy to email what I've got and direct you to the right place on the SHM site.

carol.haire@o2.co.uk

9. You have mail!

10. Hi, could I have a copy e-mailed too? Thanks a million.

dragonflytoo@hotmail.co.uk

Brawlassie

11. ooh could you email me a copy too, i've been trying to think how to incorporate into planning and anything to give me a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. thanks y.

yvette@yhalpin.orangehome.co.uk

12. There's a new CfE planning resource available from Eco-Schools Scotland (www.ecoschoolsscotland.org). We call them 'Outcome Maps'. Basically we asked experienced teachers to scan all the Outcomes docs for outcomes relevant to the nine Eco-Schools topics and put them on a single page. There are some teaching points and some indications of 'interdisciplinary learning'. Maps are available at all five levels and can be download (free) from the website above. They are in Word format so you can adapt them to suit yourself. Since the Eco-Schools topics are things like Water, Energy, Travel etc you don't need to be an Eco-School to find them useful - have fun!

13. Go onto the Glow website. It not only provides you with all the outcomes in gory detail but enables you to select and group the ones that you are dealing with e.g. the early years. I have found it best to save all the early years outcomes and then group according to subject type. You can then save and print out an overview to ensure that your planning has breadth. Each term you could also select the outcomes you're focusing on and print out the subject areas where you could jot down notes on any children who either need further support or are extremely adept. At least that's my current plan. The only problem is that the sheets really cater for P1 in that they lend themselves to groupings rather than individuals but hopefully the aforementioned strategy will work.
    It really isn't time consuming and saves a lot of work.
    Remember to print out the notes page and also watch when you select the outcomes you want to group and make sure that you check the box with the group that your saving it to e.g. mathematics, as it will default to the first group you've entered each time you change page.
    Hope this is a help. Have been searching for something like this for ages and was pleasantly surprised!

14. I know this thread is from a while ago, and I also know that not all authorities are using Glow to its full potential yet, however, Kirsteen Carmichael from LTS has posted up all the CfE Early Level E's & Os in the Early Years National Group. Here's the url to it.
    https://portal.glowscotland.org.uk/establishments/nationalsite/Staffroom/EarlyYearsPractitioners/Lists/Pages/Documents.aspx
    It's a Word document, and easily opened and downloaded/printed. We have found it very useful in our nursery.
    Judi
    PS....... Anyone from nursery/early years found a lack of provision in the E's & O's for fine motor skills? Interested in opinions!

15. Judi,
    found your info very interesting but I do not have any Glow password to access documents, as our centre is not linked with Glow. Any advice?
    Cyrilla taffomek@yahoo.co.uk

16. In your position, I'd go to www.ltscotland.org.uk and go to the CfE area, open the outcomes you require, (hwb, lit, num etc - not level) and begin saving the early level ones, then you can print them, as mentioned above.