1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

learning objectives

Discussion in 'Primary' started by northhumberland, May 22, 2012.

1. Where are we meant to get learning objectives from since they removed the site and froze the archives?

2. Where are we meant to get learning objectives from since they removed the site and froze the archives?

3. What to you want the children to learn by the end of the lesson? That's your learning objective.

4. There is only one thing that has ever been compulsory and that is the national curriculum. That is still there. That tells you what to cover.
    Learning intentions or objectives is what you want the children to learn in that lesson in order to meet NC guidelines

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I said that to someone the other day and they said 'but I just need a list of year X learning objectives'. I pointed out again that they don't exist and all there are are statements from the NC and looking at relevant levels would provide differentiated LOs. They acted like I was speaking a foreign language!

This was an experienced teacher working with another fairly experienced teacher who are just finishing a course that has involved discussing and learning how to improve their planning. How on earth this wasn't covered I've no idea!

6. I was asked by a head where I got my learning objective for the lesson from - I said thats what I want the children to learn by the end of the lesson. She said yes but where is it from? I said I made it up.
    She gave me the ancient exemplified planning to teach from in order to cover the 'correct' learning intentions. I left later that term - i dont know what she wanted me to say!!

7. In my NQT year I failed a lesson as I was teaching a year 6 objective!!!! Now that would be seen as high expectations!

Where is the profession going? What exactly do we want?

My ideal - teach these children how to read, write, add and subtract - if they can do all 4 then at least they have a chance! I they can multiply and divide, that's a bonus!! I put my all in so they can achieve their all - but you can only work with what you are given. I now sound negative but really I'm not! I just want the best from every child in my class. I am tired of trying to meet percentages and targets!!! It's about each little person - it's all about them!