1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Objectives

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Dommi, May 26, 2010.

1. Would anyone have a bank of learning objectives which you would not mind sharing with me. We are trying to develop some in the department. My email: d_brzezina@yahoo.de
    Thank you.

2. Would anyone have a bank of learning objectives which you would not mind sharing with me. We are trying to develop some in the department. My email: d_brzezina@yahoo.de
    Thank you.

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Mine are specific to what I am trying to achieve in the lesson, so not standardised at all.
    The Heinemann books all have a LObj stated for each section - does your book hav esomething similar?
    I am also training myself to add a Framework objective to the board.

4. mpc

mpc

At my school, we have a sign on the board which says..
    By the end of the lesson, I will be able to...
    This makes setting/monitoring L/Os quite easy.
    Best wishes,
    mpc

5. Thanks for your reply. I am doing the same as you but I am trying for some other members of my department to use appropriate LO because at the moment they are not up to scratch.

6. If I could get some examples of good LO I would be very grateful. We also have a sign on the board in each classroom but the standard of LO is not up to scratch. Thank you.

7. You could use the MFL strategy strands to set lesson objectives as a starting block so lesson focus can be one or two of them this coudl tick a few boxes.
    and/or Or you could look at NC levels to also support LO setting

Here's the link to MFL framework
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/195138?uc%20=%20force_uj

8. So example
    three strands are
    4.2 words
    1.2 develop confidence in lsitening
    1.4 talking together
    This becomes
    We are learning today:
    • new words to do with buying food in a shop
    • understand these words when we hear them being spoken
    • use these words to produce a conversation in a bakers/butchers etc
    It's a starting block and gives a focus - the Framework strands don;t have to be explicit to students

9. Thank you for your help. Great starting point! Thank you so much for all your replies. I really appreciate it.

10. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Our learning objectives are written in a standard whole school format and are written on the board at the start of every lesson. We have a single learning objective which begins 'To learn ...' and then a number of success criteria which are expressed in the past tense and may be linked to level/grade criteria. I use Bloom's Taxonomy to get ideas for the success criteria e.g. remembered, understood, applied, analysed, evaluated, created etc.
    For example:
    (Y10) Learning Objective:
    To learn to talk about teenage stress.
    Success Criteria:
    I identified factors causing stress in teenagers.
    I understood texts about teenage stress.
    I analysed use of complex language in texts (C grade +).

(Y7) Learning Objective:
    To learn to describe your teachers.
    Success Criteria:
    I understood adjectives.
    I asked and answered questions about my teachers.
    I created sentences (or paragraph) about my teachers. Choice depends on ability of pupils.

11. I also teach in between (and children used to learn before all this nonsense).

12. Thank you for that....this is actually very useful for people like me (native French) who has issues with expressing my objectives sometimes, let's say my objectives are a few times "lost in translations"....I think building a bank of objectives is useful and would welcome a bank of AFL marking statement too as I find myself saying the same old things over and over. Perhaps someone out there feels the same?

13. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

I hear you, houserabbit !

14. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Interesting. We have learning objectives and differentiated learning outcomes. The learning objective generally starts with to be able to....and the learning outcome is will....and refers usually to a specific criteria such as remember 6 words or write three sentences independently. The learning objective must be written in the children's books but the learning outcomes are shared and refered back to during the plenary. The children often record which learning outcome/s they did in fact reach. Have to say it does help in a school like ours with challenging children - they know exactly what is expected, where they are and usually where they are going.

15. I know it's my age but all this what I call "smoke and mirrors" language teaching with lots of mother tongue explanation of what we are doing in the classroom and what they should be able to do at the end of the lesson etc ad naseum...they make progress because you set the criteria and then you say they have reached it and then you give them a level and then you pass your performance management meeting with all your targets met...but wait and look at what actually has happened to the learning of the kids while you have been chuntering away with your lesson objectives, criteria for success, plenaries and blooms taxidermy...it's not real is it ? its an illusion. I heard a student telling the TA that she hates her MFL lessons the teacher always does the same thing...tells them what they are going to do, they do it and at the end tells them what they have done...makes them write a paragraph and gives them a level. They have done nothing cultural, seen or heard hardly any French in a real context and just hate it. It's purely mechanical and meaningless and has more to do with exerting a psychological control over the kids fooling them into thinking that they are succeeding under this ridiculous approach and lying to them and their parents....My nephew could only remember 30 words of French yet he got a C...at GCSE. It's a con.

16. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Very well put, timboleicester. You have the power to see when Emperors have no clothes on.

All the babble may be well-intentioned, but it achieves next to nothing other than giving an impression that a procedure is being followed successfully.
    Objectives, outcomes, levels.... these have blinded us to the real needs in MFL teaching. But of course some people have made great personal advancements by speaking "knowledgeably" about them.

17. And I'll tell you another thing too....there is not enough speaking going on in classes anymore. We are spending too much time on frippery and not enough on this vital element. I know there are 4 supposed skills but the speaking must be prioritized and make up the vast bulk of the time in language learning. i kow why teachers don't do it as well because as MFL teachers were are bloody knackered if we try. It's not special pleading but MFL tecahers need more time to plan and fewer lessons per week. We went on a learning walk round several departments and this is what we discovered. English - watching a christmas carol (they spent the previous week watching the muppets versions i think so time for another version) Hum- copying a map and couloring it in and answering the questions. MFL- all 3 teachers all at the board teaching doing oral practice and setting up pair work activites.... I noticed some teachers in the English writing their reports while the kids were watching the film...MFL teachers do that when.....?

18. I do agree with timbo to a certain extend - too much jumping through hoops for the sake of it, wasting time and taking enjoyment, playfulness and realness out of (language) learning. NC levels are a complete waste of time apart from maybe end of year assessments. All the kids remember is a number but not what it actually represents. Also levels were only ever meant to be given by the end of year 9. Wake up everyone!!!!
    Yes, by all means we should know what we are teaching (learning objectives) but what I find with a lot of other teachers in my department is that their focus is on the teaching not the learning. All these powerpoint presentations that are "done" to students. They are so inflexibel. Also how can you know what your students will have achieved by the end of the lesson? What if they found one aspect harder than you expected/previous classes? Just move on because that's what your next slide says?
    This way of teaching creates dependent, insecure learners and stressed teachers with poor behaviour in their classrooms. You don't have to entertain your classes every lesson and be the constant centre of their attention.
    Sorry that was just a little side rant [​IMG]

19. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Being clear about what the lesson is about is not the same as not doing anything cultural, not seeing or hearing French in context, not doing grammar, not speaking TL, doing the same thing every lesson etc. Being clear at the end about what you have learnt is not an illusion if the children are properly challenged and tested in the lesson. I have no truck with Blooms taxis either. But in the school where I work where the children frequently feel overwhelmed not just by school work but their own home lives then clarity and what looks like manageable lessons means alot to them.

20. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

What about those lessons where you are just practising and building general competence? Objective? Get marginally better? Learn a few new words?