1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

learning objectives and success criteria

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by bobspoons, Feb 8, 2010.

1. If success criteria are displayed to pupils at all times, do they need to know the learning objectives as well? If so, please give an example of when this would be a distinct advantage.

2. I would possibly use learning outcomes at the start of a set of linked lessons or large, where the learning outcomes can't be achieved with one lesson alone. I would get the children involved in thinking about each steps they will need to go through to achieve these learning outcomes. I would keep these written on during these lessons and these would be revised at the end of the topic or lessons. I would get the children to give evidence to explain if they think these have been achieved or not. If they have I wouldgive them a big tick to make the pupils feel some success in their learning.

3. I would possibly use learning outcomes at the start of a set of linked lessons or large, where the learning outcomes can't be achieved with one lesson alone. I would get the children involved in thinking about each steps they will need to go through to achieve these learning outcomes. I would keep these written on during these lessons and these would be revised at the end of the topic or lessons. I would get the children to give evidence to explain if they think these have been achieved or not. If they have I would give them a big tick to make the pupils feel some success in their learning.

4. Hi
    I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a free resource sheet on the TES website, called "Making Learning Objectives and Success Criteria Work". If you can't find it, or would like to discuss further, please email me at jgsearl@aol.com.

5. pooped

pooped New commenter

Hi, Iat the school I've just finished working at the advisors made it clear that it was best to use both learning objectives and the success criteria. We used to share outcome at the beginning of the lesson and then the success criteria would be there to show children how to meet that outcome. Where possible children devised a criteria, for example story writing. We also had to have L.O and criteria in English and Maths books which were used for peer and self assessment.

6. I'm sorry that the sheet, "Making Learning Objectives and Success Criteria Work" is no longer available on the TES website, but I should be pleased to send it to anyone interested. Please email jgsearl@aol.com

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think it's right that children should be told the learning objectives at the start. In nfact, it seems only fair.
    I don't understand that. Wouldn't what is needed fit the bill more accurately?

8. I do wonder this too for some children, especially for my very low year 2 set for Maths. I always start the lesson with the objective, but sometimes feel they are overwhelmed with the term 'Success Criteria', they find it challenging enough to understand what it is I am teaching them without them understanding how to prove to me that they can do it. However, for able children it can be extremely encouraging for them to know how to achieve. I teach the top set for Literacy and I break the success criteria (though not every day I do admit) into appropriate levels, I have many children so keen to get a level 3, they seem to respond very well to being told how to.

9. I'm a trainee teacher with limited experience of the classroom, but I don't honestly see the point in always having learning objectives. Yes with exam classes in particular the pupils should be told what they will need to know, but most often from what I have observed the pupils see the learning objective and say well now I know what I need to know because you just told me, so I'm not going to bother to pay attention.

Obviously this is not true for all pupils, some honestly want to learn but I don't see how learning objectives inspire them to do anything except the bare minimum.

10. Could you please send me a copy of your resource sheet Making Learning Objectives and Success Criteria Work

Thanks
    Rosemary Barton

11. Please could you send me a copy? I have a student teacher in my class at the moment and I am trying to encourage him to see the difference between learning objectives and success criteria
    looneylou86@hotmail.com

12. pooped

pooped New commenter

It sure would. Sorry!

13. Hi Rosemary
    I'd be pleased to send you the sheet, but need your email address. Please email me at jgsearl@aol.com and I'll send the sheet by return.
    Thanks.
    John

14. Hi there,

Please can I have a copy of the sheet as well? I'm an NQT and I'd really appreciate it... My email address is mrs_emily_harvey@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Emily

15. Hi
    Please send me a copy of 'Making Learning Objectives and Success Criteria Work'
    Thanks
    Fiona

16. objective - the skill (or whatever) you want sutdents to develop

outcome - the standard(s) you want them to achieve

success criteria - how they will work towards those standards

so yeah - i think both objectives and success criteria should be available to students otherwise they are missing a part of their 'big picture'

rob

17. Always interested in materials that aid in assessment. Could I recieve "Making Learning Objectives and Success Criteria Work"? Thank you in advance for sharing.

18. Hi V.
    I'd be pleased to send you the sheet, but need your email address. Please email me at jgsearl@aol.com and I'll send the sheet by return.
    Thanks.
    John

19. Me too please

djanstee@sky.com

Thanks