1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

learning objective - please help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taspat, Jan 9, 2011.

1. <font size="3">Hi I am a student teacher and hoping somebody can give me some advice please. I am currently teaching year 4 children the English narrative unit stories with a historical setting and we are looking at stories set in ancient Roman times. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">For one of the lessons, the children will watch an extract from the Roman mysteries DVD and make notes on how they can tell it is set in Roman times e.g. clothing, music and scenery . The learning objective from the framework is "To understand how differences in time and place are represented." </font> <font size="3">I am struggling trying to phrase this in child friendly speak. I have come up with this - "I can watch a DVD extract and find the evidence which shows that it has been set in ancient Roman times." Do you think this is ok?
    Could somebody please help me with how to improve the main activity and learning objective?
    Thank you

2. Sorry, I had put paragraphs in but they seem to have disappeared!

3. I would have
    'I can find evidence from a DVD that show it's set in Roman times'
    just because it's a bit shorter if they have to copy it out.
    Also, your main activity doesn't seem to link to your LO. Your Lo was for the children to learn to find evidence from a DVD but then in your main activity you're asking them to find similarities and differences or write a character profile or write sentences.
    What do you want the children to learn in the lesson?

4. How about:

Can I use observations to say how I know a DVD has been set in Ancient Roman times?
    Or
    Can I find evidence that suggests a DVD has been set in Ancient Roman times?
    As for the main activity:
    You could keep the introduction short - just recap the thinkgs they have learnt already about Roman clothes, music, language etc so they know what they are looking for. Then show them the DVD and ask them to find these things and write them down when they do. For the lower ability, you could give them a list of things to look for that they should tick off when they find them. The idea of asking the children to describe the characters etc sounds good to me.

5. After you have made sure they can find the evidence in the DVD of course. Perhaps some paired work (mixed ability if you want) on a short presentation which points out the evidence would work.

6. Many thanks for your reply. I want the children to be able to find evidence that it is set in Roman time but I am worried that this is not going to fill the whole lesson. The children are going to watch the DVD and then we will stop and recap what they have found out.
    Then they will watch it again and this time they will make a list of the features which shows that it is set in Roman times (I am going to write this down in the plan as the main activity).
    I am struggling with how to develop this further and so that's why I thought I would then ask the children to write some sentences about the characters but I am woried because it doesn't have a direct link with the learning objective.

7. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and for your suggestions, it is much appreciated. So shall I begin by letting them watch the DVD and then after they have watched it ask them what they have learnt, hopefully the children will say clothes, music etc. IAfter that shall I them to look out for them things when they rewatch it and to write it down but to be specific e.g. toga instead of clothes.
    For the main activity the children will watch the DVD again and make a list. I love your checklist idea, thankyou!

8. Don't forget you need time for a plenary too! Is it just an hour for the lesson?

Maybe the sentences the children write could link back to the evidence they found in some way?
    So perhaps they could say who the characters are and what is typically Roman about them? Clothes, hair etc.