1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning objective...help please!! :(

Discussion in 'Primary' started by munchkinamy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have an interview tomorrow and I'm struggling to write a learning objective for my lesson.
    We are going to be measuring the giants footprint (jack and the beanstalk) and then measuring our own. We will be doing this using cubes.

Any suggestions at all would be grealy appreciated, I must have written about 5 different ones so far.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

to measure accurately using non standard measures?

3. That is one I had, I probably should have said its a mixed FS2 and Y1 class (mainly FS2 I think).
    Would that still be ok?
    (learning objectives are the bane of my life sometimes, each school I've worked at has a slightly different approach)

4. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Non-standard measures isn't child friendly, maybe replace with 'to measure using cubes'. I think steps to success are more important, use them to guide and differentiate the task.

5. Msz

are you planning on sharing your learning objectives with the children?
    Since the children are mostly reception I would be looking at EYFS (your activity will be covering the six areas not just PSRN )

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Shouldn't the activity be tailored to fit the objective you have, rather than the other way around?

7. roise

roise New commenter

Sometimes, not always because sometimes you can be inspired to think of brilliant activities linked to a resource or even just something you've seen on telly which you know will inspire your class and you then you find the L.O. that links it in to your medium term planning and your assessment of your children's next steps. If you always start with the objective you can end up with some dull laboured lessons.

8. Msz

I think the OP knows what she wants the children to achieve but is wondering how best to phrase it.

9. Indeed :D
    The outcome of the lesson may totally change from my intended focus depending on how the children influence it.

10. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

It's a little clearer now! It genuinely sounded like you didn't know what you wanted them to learn from the activity, which I don't think is the best way to do it.
    So, you're just trying to word it right, which is fine!

11. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Normally, if I find a resource that inspires me an objective will easily come to mind as well. I've never struggled to figure out an objective based on an activity.
    Even though most of my lessons start with an objective, I don't think they're dull or laboured!