1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning models when school is closed

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Beagles111, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Hi, just wondered how this issue is being dealt with around the globe? Our school was closed a couple of weeks ago but the teachers still had to come in from 7 til 4 and deliver Zoom classes and long emails to kids for every lesson, even down to Y2. We then had a week back at school but the Thai government has now closed all schools and I am wondering if we will have to do the same again, is this how other schools are dealing with this or are the teachers being trusted to work from home?

Love to hear your thoughts.

mwab likes this.
  2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Our school is preparing expectations in advance, in case. If we close, we’ll probably take a day or two with all teachers on campus, for training, setting everything up, having support right there. Then we’ll go virtual and teachers can work either at home or in school. Normal working hours either way.
    Everyone will be using a combination of live sessions, video sessions, individual interaction, daily task lists, personalized feedback.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs. Hippo was a model, when we were in China. She said it was quite well paid. Nice work if you can get it.

Bentley89 likes this.
  4. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

We closed down last Monday, training on the Tuesday in school and online learning started a week ago. We have another week and a half at least before possibly opening the school again. We login to Microsoft Teams and register the classes and then do a variety of activities online with the kids

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

We're using Microsoft Teams which is great for handing in and assessing work but absolutely awful for live lessons. For some bizarre reason Microsoft decided to port the meeting feature over to Teams for Education without any changes. This means students can mute the teacher and kick each other out of the lesson. Excellent

6. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

We don't have a mandated system, other than posting work for every lesson on the school VLE and checking in with the students regularly.
    I'm using Zoom but only on audio and the occasional screen share to make sure we're all looking at the same thing. All my lesson work is shared through Google classroom - same as usual

7. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

OK, thanks, but are you all teaching from school? As in are you in the classroom every day? That was what we were made to do last time.

8. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

What are schools doing for the younger children? Early years and Year 1 age?

9. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

No we are on home learning for just over a week now. We had half a day training and preptime last Tuesday and then went to online learning Tuesday afternoon

10. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

Our place are emailing weekly packs of work, activities and online challenges via email. Higher up in the school, Google Classroom is being used as they all have their own Chromebook.

We are to do this from home and are not allowed on school premises.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  11. the hippo

Mrs Hippopotamus and her overweight husband have gone to their country house outside Sofia. I am going to have another online lesson with ZOOM in about an hour.

yasf and TeacherMan19 like this.
  12. the hippo

It was very weird to go to school and then be told by the security people that everything is shut "Because it has been cleaned." I think that the whole school has been sanitized and made sterile, so it has to stay like that until the children come back to school again. But when? The number of infections is going to skyrocket in Bulgaria, just as it did in Italy.

13. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Year 4 and above are meant to stick to timetable, with teachers posting work via google classrooms. Some teachers are supporting this with video conferencing using google hangouts, but it depends on numbers/maturity of students. I've found it's fine for 6th form, less successful for younger.

I'm putting up powerpoints then a separate audio file, narrating, elaborating on and exemplifying the material for the students. Then during the lesson I live comment on the students' work. I also encourage the students to work collaboratively via e mail or google hangouts where appropriate.

We've just finished three days of it. This was the result of a survey of my students I sent out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Quite pleased with that.

I've enjoyed it actually. I've learnt new skills and re-thought some things I usual take for granted. We've a long weekend now, which will hopefully give me a chance to be a bit more innovative, as the first week was just ensuring every class was covered.

14. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Try screencastify. Its a google extension and works brilliantly for that type of thing and its all in one place. Its automatically saved to your drive and syncs lovely with anything google.

15. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Thanks! I just tried it. It looks good....but the free version has a 5 minute maximum recording time. I JUST managed to record the narration for one lesson in that time...

I do realise I can of course record a narration straight onto powerpoint and then export the powerpoint as a video. I'll try that next.

16. karel

karel Occasional commenter

My school is currently on holiday, but we will be distance teaching when school is supposed to resume at the end of March. The plan is that we use Microsoft Teams, of which I have no experience. I’ve been at google schools previously, but my current school uses Microsoft. I’m using Onenote, which I like and I’m hoping I can connect it somehow to teams. I’d like to know more about the issues with using Teams for live lessons? I’m hearing that Zoom works well for that, so could a combination of teams and zoom be used? Any recommendations appreciated!

17. the hippo

There are some good things about ZOOM, but of course it is just a bit too popular at certain times of the morning and so there can be some issues.

18. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

My school also using Teams. In the live video chat you can click on the Teams icon at the bottom of the screen to see who is present. If you click on the three dots next to students names you can change their role from presenter to attendee. This stops them from muting and kicking each other off. They can still switch their microphones on and off though. Names that appear in bold are the people currently talking. Quite useful for me as I have only been at my current school since January. I also don't think you can link a current notebook to the team which is annoying.

19. mwab

mwab New commenter

20. mwab

mwab New commenter

hi,exactly that is what we are doing and happening here in OUR SCHOOL.The government closed down the schools but the challenge is that,the government is not our employers,so we as teachers have to stay in school giving out work to students through emails and preparing for the long term after tghis pandemic