1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

learning mentor

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Newgirl2006, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Are there any learning mentors out there? Do you enjoy your job? what is your daily routine like? thanks in advance

2. Are there any learning mentors out there? Do you enjoy your job? what is your daily routine like? thanks in advance

3. I absolutely love my job. There are a few drawbacks. Basically the pay is poor. Although it's good compared to most TA's I do feel Mentors get put on a lot more, due to their flexibility and lack of real job descriptions. A role can be very different from one school to the next. I am a Primary mentor now, but was a secondary one for a year. Both very different roles.

At High school my days were made up mostly of 1:1 meetings with pupils from my caseload of around 12-15 kids. At Primary school..........well take a look at my self made list of duties :

1. Supporting pupils via 1:1 mentoring meetings. Referral reasons mainly being social, emotional and behavioural difficulties including problems at home.
    2. Supporting pupils 1:1 in class who have difficulties not related directly to special needs. (e.g. low self esteem, concentration levels)
    3. General drop-in procedures for pupils with one off problems who need to talk. (e.g. arguments with friends, bereavements etc.)
    4. Multi-agency work to refer on pupils who need extra support (e.g. school counsellor, school nurse etc.)
    5. Small group work for Year 6. TV News group for 9 pupils in need of a self-esteem and confidence boost. One lesson a week to produce video news reports for the rest of the school.
    6. Managing Playground Leaders. Year 5 pupils who organise and play games on the yard at lunchtime with various toys and equipment.
    7. Provide a reading club, before school once a week (8.30-8.50) for Year 3?s involving a group of Year 6 pupils as reading buddies.
    8. Provide a breakfast club, before school once a week (8.20-8.50) for vulnerable pupils. Involves a healthy breakfast for all pupils and a relaxed atmosphere for social interaction.
    9. TOP Activity After Schools Club which provides fitness and sports activities for children who do not usually get involved in after school clubs or sport.
    10. Weekly checks on targeted pupils whose home-school diaries are not reaching their targets, involves short 1:1 meetings.
    11. Weekly meetings with targeted boys from Year 6 to track progress in regards to behaviour, attitude and effort in and out of class.
    12. Involvement with Home-School Link worker and Community Centre activities such as coffee mornings and parent courses.
    13. 2 lessons per week supporting a Year 4 class covering TA absence.
    14. 2 lessons per week supporting a Year 5 Literacy target group. (9 pupils using FLS scheme).
    15. 3 lessons per week supporting a Year 5 Numeracy target group (9 pupils).
    16. Accompanying and organising pupils on extra ?booster activities? (e.g. ?BRAIN?, Master Classes & ?Playing for Success?.
    17. Football coaching for Year 3?s and Year 4?s on a fortnightly basis at lunch time.
    18. Managing and coaching the school ?B? team football squad. (1-2 times per week at lunchtime).
    19. Support on school trips where possible.
    20. PTFA member involving help with discos and fayre.
    21. Organiser for after school youth club.

I do love it but it can be hard emotionally as you have a very different relationship with the kids, and I feel to be most effective you have to balance this with not getting too 'friendly' shall we say. Very tricky!!!

4. Hey Steve, didn't you forget No.22.....Anything else deemed necessary by SMT ????

5. LOL! too right :eek:)

6. Steve - are you willing to say what sort of pay you get. I am always interested to hear what other mentors are getting in the light of all our pay reviews.

I'm a learning mentor too and have similar responsibilities to Steve with a secondary twist eg revision groups rather than literacy, oh and I don't do any football!!

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Mentorist, Learning Mentors in my area are on the same pay scale as HLTAs which is £18342.42 - £21689.62 for term-time only working of 36.5 hours, but some are on 52 week contracts which works out at £20895 - £24708. However, there are variations on hours and quite a lot of jobs are as assistant mentors (even when there does not appear to be a mentor to assist!)or similar job titles.
    This would apply to both Primary and Secondary mentors

8. Thanks thats really interesting Ophelia, can you point me in the direction or any adverts or job descriptions - I'd love to take them to my line manager and ask for a 5 grand pay rise!! :eek:)

9. I always find it difficult to answer questions regarding to pay for a few reasons.

1) I only went to 32.5 hours per week this school year so I tend to get paid for my original hours, then the extra on top.

2) To make matters worse I do a few hours at a local football club in some after school classes (PFS scheme if anyone knows it) which makes my pay slip even more complicated.

Anyways roughly I take home about £800 net odd a month from my job in school I think. Sounds daft that I don't know, I know but it's complicated. I'm sure my gross pay after it's been pro rated is somewhere around the £13,000 mark.

10. I work in a primary school. The head has asked me to mentor for approximately 2 days a week when it's broken down, and the rest of the time I work as a TA. I'd like more mentoring time and more importantly feel the school needs it but have to live with what I've got. The head has promised to review my pay but I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm still paid at the top of the TA2 band. We were funded for a learning mentor externally and I'm not sure what the future of my post will be as the funding has been declining and is due to stop. From what I've seen from other jobs in my area, Learning Mentors appear to be on the same pay scale as TA3's unless they have responsibility for managing and training other staff (such as midday supervisors).

My role includes:-
    1:1 sessions with a few vulnerable children (at the moment I have 4).
    Small group work (I have about 10) with focuses on listening skills, improving self esteem and social skills.
    Circle time once a week with one class.
    I also do small group work with year 5 & 6 gifted and talented but I'm not sure if that's part of my learning mentor or my TA role.
    I run a dance club at lunchtime and an after-school sports club, and co-ordinate teams to take to competitions.
    I do a toast club twice a week to encourage healthy eating.
    I stay at every parent's evening to talk to parents and hope to begin to organise some family learning opportunities to bring parents into school.
    Separately to this role I also work with our children outside of school at a local sports initiative, employed as a casual coach at weekends, although this isn't part of the learning mentor role, it helps to see children in their "natural habitat".

In addition to this for each child I work with I'm required to record the details of the discussion and their behaviour etc for each session, and set them an action plan and review them. I spend approximately 5 hours per week on paperwork which is currently outside my paid hours.

At my school I'm not supposed to take referrals for behaviour, most of my referrals relate to low self esteem, poor emotional literacy/intelligence and social skills.

hope this helps. I don't think mine is a very good example due to the problems with the role's uncertainty at my school.
    ariom

11. Wages are also between £18,000 and £21,000 in my area. So, about £1000 less per year than a first year teacher, and I certainly know which one I prefer!

12. Hey,
    I'm interested in becoming a learning mentor but not sure how to go about it, any ideas? How / where did you train? ..

13. Simply find a job and go for it. Do your research before hand and you're away.

I walked into a Mentors job having never worked as one before although I did do quite a bit of voluntary work with kids after school in a partial mentoring role.