1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Mentor - What Should I Expect?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by D630, Sep 14, 2018.

1. D630

D630 New commenter

Hello,

First of all, thank you for taking your time to read my question.

Next week I have an interview for a Learning Mentor role with Library responsibilities. I have never had a teaching job/worked within a school before.

I was wondering if someone here could help ease my nerves and let me know what’s in store for me. I was told there will be an assessment at the interview, what should I expect? I ask as I would like to research anything necessary in preparation.

In an ideal situation, imagine I get the job. What else would my role entail? The description states inside and outside classroom responsibilities alongside helping out with the library when needed.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

D630

2. balletomane

balletomane New commenter

In my experience learning mentors usually work with those pupils who have particular obstacles to their learning, which might be a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, mental health problems, an autistic spectrum condition, or pressures in their life outside school that is having an effect on their education (for example, young carers). There is often an overlap with teaching assistant work. You would probably be expected to support particular students in class and to facilitate learning support sessions (and as they mention library responsibilities I'd imagine you might be getting involved in some kind of literacy-related activity too). Another part of the job is often just encouraging and motivating pupils to learn and helping them to develop realistic plans for how they can do that. For the interview, it might help to think about the following:

* How you might motivate a reluctant pupil, especially one whose behaviour was challenging for you.
    * How you envisage your responsibilities, and your relationships with other staff in the school - think about how you might support class teachers, librarian, special needs co-ordinator, etc., and all the different tasks that might come with that.
    * Safeguarding - what would you do if you had serious worries about a child, or they disclosed something to you.

If they've invited you to interview you obviously have some relevant experience and attributes, even if you've never worked in a school before. Think about which aspects of your previous jobs have prepared you to do well in this one, and be ready to talk about them. Good luck!