1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning mentor/safeguarding role

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sunflowerfi, Dec 6, 2015.

1. sunflowerfi

sunflowerfi New commenter

Hi there
    Having worked for about 12 years in the further education sector in both a study support role and also as a psychology tutor I have recently taken a change in direction into the primary sector and am currently a teaching assistant on a one years contract.
    I have a psychology degree (graduated in 2002 so sometime ago though) and a level two counselling qualification and am currently studying my level two supporting teaching and learning in schools.
    Although I enjoy my job my goal is to get into a more pastoral support role where I can support children or young people who have family, behavioral or learning difficulties. I prefer working one to one or with small groups than whole class situations and feel my main strength both when working with 16plus and with the young children is the raport I build with them.
    By getting this experience as a teaching assistant, am I going the right way about hopefully one day achieving a role as a learning mentor or similar. Are there any other qualifications I should look to take?
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter