1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Mentor Interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by JessicaWells123, Dec 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JessicaWells123

JessicaWells123 New commenter

Hi all,

I have been lucky enough to be invited to a Learning Mentor interview on Tuesday, i am so excited! For the interview I have to prepare a 30-40 minute activity with 2 Key Stage 2 pupils "to begin to explore motivation (or lack of it in work situations – little intrinsic motivation of pupils who get bored easily and mess about in lessons and on the yard)." I will then complete a more formal question and answer interview.

I am nervous as this is a role that I would love to get but seem to having some trouble thinking of good activity ideas, can anyone offer me any advice???? It will be very very much appreciated!

Thank you all

2. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Hi Jessica, wow that is great news. May i ask if you have a lot of experience or TA qualifications? Have you done this role before?

I'm not sure what they mean- plan an activity to explore intrinsic motivation? Perhaps something where a challenge is involved to obtain a reward.

Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation is linked to behaviour, and how effective teaching and learning is. Why not look up behaviour management, or a book on intrinsic/extrinsic motivation and see if it offers any food for thought.

Can this be any activity- numeracy/literacy?

As its 2 pupils is there a reason why it is with two? Have they got any SEN needs or anything else that you need to be aware of?

That is quite a tough task to be assigned if im being honest.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Wow Jessica! Congratulations on getting the interview - I also think this is a difficult task to be assigned. It's made harder by not knowing the age and possibly gender of the pupils. I would be thinking of something very different for 2 Year 3 girls than I would for 2 Year 6 boys. It definitely needs to be something they can succeed at to build their self esteem. It needs to be fun, to keep them on task for half an hour or more. Off the top of my head, if it were Y5 or 6, I might choose to read them a short extract from 'Stormbreaker' (maybe when Alex is in the tank with the jellyfish), then discuss possible spy gadgets and get them to design their own. I'd have pictures and suggestions ready to support. They would then need to annotate to explain exactly what the gadget does. They would enjoy doing this and hopefully produce something they could be proud of at the end. I'm sure others with more experience of Learning Mentor roles will have better suggestions, but I wish you the best of luck.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

As it's for LM it would make sense also to consider learning theories. The growth mindset stuff has been around for ages but looks at the area of motivation / AFL . If you conversation me I can probably send you some PPTs which may help you get to grips with the rationale quickly.