1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Mentor Interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by missay, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Hey everyone,

I have an interview this friday for a learning mentor post. it will begin with a 15 minute session with a small group of children to discuss 'making the right choices'. Just wondering if anyone can give some tips or ideas on how to carry out this session, how should i plan this activity and what sort of questions should i ask?? Never done anything like this before and this is my first Learning Mentor interview!!

Also what type of questions should i expect?

Any help will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Missay

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there - and well done for getting that interview! In a minute I'll give you my general interview advice. Meant for teaching posts, but loads of it will be relevant to you too.

Well, without knowing the age group, it's a bit hard to say! But think in your mind what your aims are, and then work out how to achieve them with guiding the discussion. Do make sure that you are inclusive, encourage the shy ones to contribute, ensure that some of the more confident don't overwhelm everybody else.

First of all, child protection ones - but not necessarily beginning with the words Here is a question about safeguarding and child protection. You'll have to be on the look-out for them.

Then, any questions relating to the job description that you have, how you would do things, how your experience could help you achieve a or b.

Now for the general interview advice. I suggest that you read these in this order.

Help, I've got an interview!

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

If a blog is helpful, don't forget to Red-Heart it by clicking on the black heart at the end. And click on the Share icon to show it to your friends too.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations.

3. Unfortunately they didn't inform me of the age group but I'm assuming it may be KS2

Thanks for your advice Theo, i will take a look at the interview tips!

Kind Regards

Missay