1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Ladders - Looking to find other teachers using this method of assessment.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by reginaphi15, Nov 23, 2015.

1. reginaphi15

reginaphi15 New commenter

Hello,

As the title states, I am looking for other teachers who are currently using Learning Ladders as an assessment tool in their school. We are currently using LL in our school but are finding it incredibly time consuming to gather assssment evidence, record assessment evidence and then transfer all of this information on to the online system. At the moment, we seem to be doing a great deal of assessment.

I would be interested to know how you assess Maths, Reading and Writing. Do you find three pieces of evidence as suggested by the three sections of the rung? How is this implemented in the three areas?

I look forward to hearing your responses and hope we can learn from each other.

2. ERU

ERU New commenter

We trailed it, and then binned it. It didn't work for us...

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yep, we tried it for two terms. Found out it was taking days to fill it all in. We binned the lot and just use the online tracker now. This assumes all evidence can be found in the books, should anyone ever have the time or inclination to go and check that Jayden did, in fact, successfully draw a 2-d shape with a right angle in the Autumn Term.

Billie73 and whitestag like this.
  4. cmpack77

cmpack77 New commenter

We also binned the booklets which were a nightmare for teachers and children alike and now just use the online tracking system - again, evidence is assumed to be in books.

whitestag likes this.
  5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Yep, online tracking system. Which is as much of a work of fiction as anything else floating around. You can't quantify children's learning.

6. Footballnut25

Footballnut25 New commenter

We are using learning ladders. I went to a meeting with other schools who use it on Tuesday. What came out is that no 2 schools were using it in the same way.
    Some had binned the spelling ladder and were using less of the maths ones. I think this will probably work better.
    The booklets were also used in a variety of ways. One school had stopped using them and intead copied the ladders and stuck in the back of the books.
    One of the schools who used it well got the kids to fill the book in. In the teachers marking they would write fill in ladder_________ rung _______. this seemed to work well apparently.

7. Footballnut25

When you mention assessment, what are you required to do in order to show evidence?
    Also, would be interesting to hear what schools regard as a 1 tick, 2 tick, etc

8. daisymoo

daisymoo New commenter

A Headteacher friend went to visit the school where it all started. From talking to children, she found that several children had no idea where they were on the ladders. So she decided that if that school couldn't implement it properly, she had no chance of using it successfully in her school.

9. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Levels by another name

10. Footballnut25

What other systems do people use?