1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Ladders in Early Years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jens79, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Jens79

Jens79 New commenter

Hi
    Does anyone have any experience of using Learning Ladders in the Foundation Stage? I would like to know how useful it is in Early Years. If anyone could share any thoughts, that'd be much appreciated. For example: Does it work effectively as a system to record observations as well as a tracker of attainment and progress?
    Many thanks

2. Jens79

Jens79 New commenter

Hi

(Just asking this again in case there's anyone who missed my original posting that can help.)

Does anyone have any experience of using Learning Ladders in the Foundation Stage? I would like to know how useful it is in Early Years. If anyone could share any thoughts, that'd be much appreciated. For example: Does it work effectively as a system to record observations as well as a tracker of attainment and progress?
    Many thanks

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

There are very few posters on the Early Years board, I'm afraid. I hope someone will come along with experience of this, but I fear you may be out of luck :(

4. Jens79

Jens79 New commenter

Ah, thank you.

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

We are a rare breed it appears!!

Sorry, I don't know anything about learning ladders although googling it showed NC stuff. Surely it would be better to use something like Tapestr y to inform your planning as a result of observations.

What do you use currently and do you have to do learning ladders?

6. Jens79

Jens79 New commenter

Thank you for your reply.

We have recently got Learning Ladders, primarily for Y1 to Y6, but it does include FS2 objectives, so can be used in Reception, I believe. It seems to have lots of potential as an AfL tool and data tracker but maybe isn't used very widely in Early Years. Perhaps we should stick to Tapestry for FS, which we also have.

7. Camokidmommy

Def stick with Tapestr y and wait to see what the government do to change EYFS.

No point changing something that you know is in the line for change anyway.

8. Jens79

Jens79 New commenter

Thank you for your thoughts.

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

@Camokidmommy is there definitely something in the pipeline, or are you just speculating?

10. Camokidmommy

@Kartoshka
    I am merely surmising that as they change baseline and EYFS end of year assessments they will have a reason to change what we do and how to make it fit the picture they are trying to paint about education. The whole curriculum has changed for everyone else. Everything made harder. This has surely got to come to bite us as well, sooner or later. :(

Kartoshka likes this.