1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning keys!!! Useful resource for learning prompts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Opera Diva, Oct 26, 2011.

1. We use learning keys in school with the children.
    They are simply a learning prompt for maths, literacy etc... and in the shape of a key, laminated and attached to a keyring fob.
    The children only add the ones they need to their own keyring therefore making it very personalised.
    We include children's targets and their own personal aspirations for the year whether it be to make the footie team or learn to swim etc...
    The possibilities are endless.......
    I have added some maths keys and literacy keys as well as a picture of how they look on a keyring.
    Here are the links to the resources section.
    Maths keys:-
    http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Maths-learning-keys-6122470/
    Literacy keys:-
    http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Literacy-learning-keys-6122474/
    Picture of keys:-
    http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Picture-of-learnings-keys-attached-to-a-keyring-6122478/

2. If you are unable to access these at the current time it is because they have just been uploaded and are being processed by TES.

3. Thanks for sharing Opera Diva, they are absolutely fabulous. I will definitely be downloading them and using them in my classroom. Thanks again

4. Thank you.
    'Created/invented' them a while back and they have taken off - the possibilities are endless - kids love them.

5. No Thank You.
    I think they are fabulous. Yes the possibilities are endless. I will let you know what my kids think of them.
    Thanks again
    [​IMG]

6. CB123

CB123 New commenter

They look great, thanks. I will deff give them a go

7. zannar

zannar New commenter

These look great and thanks for sharing. Unfortunately we are not allowed any more laminating which is a shame.[​IMG]

8. Thank you.

9. These are great :) Just wondering how you go about organising the children to pick which ones they need? Do you allocate the keys to the children who need them or do you allow them to choose which ones they think they need? I have visions of all 31 of my children wanting every single type of key, (eg all wanting the 2 times table when actually only 2 or 3 of them will ever use it) which would be a lot of laminating and cutting out! thanks! x

10. I give them to the children as part of the learning in a lesson or in preparation for some new learning.
    The ones children 'pick' themselves are the ones their write for themselves either as their own prompt/reminder for learnng or a target/aspiration on a personal level.
    I have been using these for 6 years - they began very small and have taken off.
    Glad they are attracting great interest.
    I still hear from children who are now in Y7, Y8 and Y9 and they talk about them and still use them at home for homework support.

11. Thanks for your reply that makes more sense to me now :) x

12. You're welcome.
    Any system has to be manageable and has to meet children's needs with great purpose.